Apr 20, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
This afternoon’s game in Boston between the Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins is showing off how they pay tribute to City of Boston in a special way.
The Bruins came out for the pregame skate before today’s game sporting baseball caps (pictured) of the Massachusetts State Police, Boston Police Department, and Watertown Police Department instead of their helmets. This gesture is reminiscent of what the New York Mets did following 9/11 wearing caps honoring New York City’s police and fire departments.
The Penguins are jumping in with their own tribute in the form of a patch on their jersey for today’s game. Team equipment manager Dana Heinze shows off the design via Twitter.
Expect this afternoon’s game to be sky-high with emotion for the Bruins after the capture of the second Boston Marathon bombing suspect yesterday.
(Photo: Bruins Instagram)
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)