Apr 20, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
This afternoon’s game in Boston between the Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins is showing off how they pay tribute to City of Boston in a special way.
The Bruins came out for the pregame skate before today’s game sporting baseball caps (pictured) of the Massachusetts State Police, Boston Police Department, and Watertown Police Department instead of their helmets. This gesture is reminiscent of what the New York Mets did following 9/11 wearing caps honoring New York City’s police and fire departments.
The Penguins are jumping in with their own tribute in the form of a patch on their jersey for today’s game. Team equipment manager Dana Heinze shows off the design via Twitter.
Expect this afternoon’s game to be sky-high with emotion for the Bruins after the capture of the second Boston Marathon bombing suspect yesterday.
(Photo: Bruins Instagram)
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)