Apr 20, 2013, 12:46 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres were eliminated from playoff contention in a lopsided 8-4 loss to the New York Rangers Friday, and starting goalie Ryan Miller once again the focal point of frustration.
He was pulled from the game after allowing four goals on 14 shots by the 1:13-mark of the second period.
The Rangers eventually went on to score five times in under three minutes combined between the the late stages of the first period and early in the second, causing considerable angst among the local fans.
The mood in the arena, complete with jeering directed toward Miller, was captured by John Vogl of the Buffalo News.
Miller, who’s been in the organization since 2002, had a moment reminiscent of Patrick Roy’s final game in Montreal just 28 seconds into the period. He stopped another dump-in and fired it toward the boards with authority. As the crowd again gave a Bronx cheer, Miller waved to the patrons as played continued – much like Roy did during a humiliating game in 1995 that featured him asking for a trade immediately after getting pulled.
Miller’s teammates had their chance to respond after the game.
“It’s very disrespectful after what he’s done for Buffalo, what he’s done for this team, this organization and this city,” Sabres defenseman Adam Pardy told the Buffalo News. “It [ticks] you off when you hear that. He’s been great all year. We’ve had wins when we’ve had no business winning games. The reason was Ryan Miller.
“To hear that is just absolute disrespect for what he’s done for this organization.”
This isn’t the first time the increasingly less patient faithful in Buffalo have showed their displeasure with their struggling hockey club.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 3
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 32
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6