Apr 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
It would take a monumental collapse for the Toronto Maple Leafs to miss the playoffs…but given they haven’t made the playoffs since 2004 and they had a monumental collapse last season, the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle has gone ahead and envisioned how it might happen.
Mirtle figures Toronto “should easily qualify” if it can get three points out of its last four games — hardly a tall task.
Except when you consider the way the Leafs have played in their last three games, and then it becomes slightly taller.
Toronto’s latest stinker came last night in a 5-3 home loss to the Islanders in which the Leafs were outshot 38-21.
“We were making awful, awful turnovers especially when we got up 2-0 in the first,” forward Joffrey Lupul said. “We were throwing the puck in the middle of the ice and giving them a chance to turn the momentum and have success.”
Last night was also the ninth straight game Toronto had been outshot — a dangerous way to exist in the NHL. (It’s no coincidence Chicago is averaging 5.2 more shots per game than its opposition and Buffalo is averaging 5.3 shots fewer than its opposition.)
The Leafs’ next game is Saturday in Ottawa.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 24
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 23
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)