Apr 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
It would take a monumental collapse for the Toronto Maple Leafs to miss the playoffs…but given they haven’t made the playoffs since 2004 and they had a monumental collapse last season, the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle has gone ahead and envisioned how it might happen.
Mirtle figures Toronto “should easily qualify” if it can get three points out of its last four games — hardly a tall task.
Except when you consider the way the Leafs have played in their last three games, and then it becomes slightly taller.
Toronto’s latest stinker came last night in a 5-3 home loss to the Islanders in which the Leafs were outshot 38-21.
“We were making awful, awful turnovers especially when we got up 2-0 in the first,” forward Joffrey Lupul said. “We were throwing the puck in the middle of the ice and giving them a chance to turn the momentum and have success.”
Last night was also the ninth straight game Toronto had been outshot — a dangerous way to exist in the NHL. (It’s no coincidence Chicago is averaging 5.2 more shots per game than its opposition and Buffalo is averaging 5.3 shots fewer than its opposition.)
The Leafs’ next game is Saturday in Ottawa.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)