Apr 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EST
It would take a monumental collapse for the Toronto Maple Leafs to miss the playoffs…but given they haven’t made the playoffs since 2004 and they had a monumental collapse last season, the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle has gone ahead and envisioned how it might happen.
Mirtle figures Toronto “should easily qualify” if it can get three points out of its last four games — hardly a tall task.
Except when you consider the way the Leafs have played in their last three games, and then it becomes slightly taller.
Toronto’s latest stinker came last night in a 5-3 home loss to the Islanders in which the Leafs were outshot 38-21.
“We were making awful, awful turnovers especially when we got up 2-0 in the first,” forward Joffrey Lupul said. “We were throwing the puck in the middle of the ice and giving them a chance to turn the momentum and have success.”
Last night was also the ninth straight game Toronto had been outshot — a dangerous way to exist in the NHL. (It’s no coincidence Chicago is averaging 5.2 more shots per game than its opposition and Buffalo is averaging 5.3 shots fewer than its opposition.)
The Leafs’ next game is Saturday in Ottawa.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)