Apr 19, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning are on a roll — in the context of AHL awards, that is.
For the second straight year, a Lightning farhmand has captured American League MVP honors as forward Tyler Johnson was named the Les Cunningham Award winner for 2013.
Last year, ex-Tampa Bay forward Cory Conacher won league MVP while playing for the Bolts’ former affiliate, the Norfolk Admirals.
Johnson, 22, is tied for the league lead with 33 goals and has totaled 60 points in 60 games for Syracuse this season. He is one of only two AHL scorers in the top-10 to average a point per game, and is also tied for the AHL lead with a plus-24 rating.
The former Spokane Chiefs scoring sensation — he racked up 115 points in 71 games in his final WHL campaign — went undrafted out of junior and signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Bolts in 2011.
Like Conacher, Johnson is an undersized (5-foot-9, 175 pounds) skill guy that defied the odds to make an impact at the NHL level.
He made his league debut on Mar. 14 and scored his first career goal in just his second game — all told, he finished his stint with the Bolts by posting 3G-3A-6PTS in 14 games, and ranked second among all rookie skaters in faceoff percentage (59.5).
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)