Apr 19, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning are on a roll — in the context of AHL awards, that is.
For the second straight year, a Lightning farhmand has captured American League MVP honors as forward Tyler Johnson was named the Les Cunningham Award winner for 2013.
Last year, ex-Tampa Bay forward Cory Conacher won league MVP while playing for the Bolts’ former affiliate, the Norfolk Admirals.
Johnson, 22, is tied for the league lead with 33 goals and has totaled 60 points in 60 games for Syracuse this season. He is one of only two AHL scorers in the top-10 to average a point per game, and is also tied for the AHL lead with a plus-24 rating.
The former Spokane Chiefs scoring sensation — he racked up 115 points in 71 games in his final WHL campaign — went undrafted out of junior and signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Bolts in 2011.
Like Conacher, Johnson is an undersized (5-foot-9, 175 pounds) skill guy that defied the odds to make an impact at the NHL level.
He made his league debut on Mar. 14 and scored his first career goal in just his second game — all told, he finished his stint with the Bolts by posting 3G-3A-6PTS in 14 games, and ranked second among all rookie skaters in faceoff percentage (59.5).
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)