Apr 19, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning are on a roll — in the context of AHL awards, that is.
For the second straight year, a Lightning farhmand has captured American League MVP honors as forward Tyler Johnson was named the Les Cunningham Award winner for 2013.
Last year, ex-Tampa Bay forward Cory Conacher won league MVP while playing for the Bolts’ former affiliate, the Norfolk Admirals.
Johnson, 22, is tied for the league lead with 33 goals and has totaled 60 points in 60 games for Syracuse this season. He is one of only two AHL scorers in the top-10 to average a point per game, and is also tied for the AHL lead with a plus-24 rating.
The former Spokane Chiefs scoring sensation — he racked up 115 points in 71 games in his final WHL campaign — went undrafted out of junior and signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Bolts in 2011.
Like Conacher, Johnson is an undersized (5-foot-9, 175 pounds) skill guy that defied the odds to make an impact at the NHL level.
He made his league debut on Mar. 14 and scored his first career goal in just his second game — all told, he finished his stint with the Bolts by posting 3G-3A-6PTS in 14 games, and ranked second among all rookie skaters in faceoff percentage (59.5).
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)