Apr 19, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
The Devils can no longer say they’re winless without Ilya Kovalchuk.
New Jersey took out the Philadelphia Flyers 3-0 at Wells Fargo Center to snap a 10-game losing streak that began when Kovalchuk went down with a shoulder injury. Ryan Carter, Matt D’Agostini, and Adam Henrique all scored for New Jersey while Martin Brodeur won his 667th game with a shutout, saving 23 shots.
The win helps keep the Devils hopes of landing in the playoffs alive as they’re up to 42 points in the standings, six points behind the eighth place Rangers. That works out conveniently drama-wise as those two teams have two games remaining against each other. The first of those will be Sunday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. ET on NBC.
Philadelphia, meanwhile, is hard up against the brink of elimination. They’re seven points back of the Rangers with just four games left to play. A Rangers win tomorrow night against Buffalo would officially knock them out of the playoff race.
If you missed tonight’s game on NBCSN, here are the highlights.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5