Apr 19, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
The Devils can no longer say they’re winless without Ilya Kovalchuk.
New Jersey took out the Philadelphia Flyers 3-0 at Wells Fargo Center to snap a 10-game losing streak that began when Kovalchuk went down with a shoulder injury. Ryan Carter, Matt D’Agostini, and Adam Henrique all scored for New Jersey while Martin Brodeur won his 667th game with a shutout, saving 23 shots.
The win helps keep the Devils hopes of landing in the playoffs alive as they’re up to 42 points in the standings, six points behind the eighth place Rangers. That works out conveniently drama-wise as those two teams have two games remaining against each other. The first of those will be Sunday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. ET on NBC.
Philadelphia, meanwhile, is hard up against the brink of elimination. They’re seven points back of the Rangers with just four games left to play. A Rangers win tomorrow night against Buffalo would officially knock them out of the playoff race.
If you missed tonight’s game on NBCSN, here are the highlights.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 12
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 36
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6