Apr 19, 2013, 12:43 PM EDT
Ottawa defenseman Erik Karlsson continued his remarkable recovery from a sliced Achilles tendon on Friday, getting cleared for contact and fully practicing with teammates for the first time since the injury.
What’s more, his return to game action sounds closer than ever.
Sens GM Bryan Murray said Karlsson is ‘100 percent’ and his return is contingent upon getting back into game shape.
The 22-year-old blueliner has been out of action since his left Achilles was sliced by Pittsburgh forward Matt Cooke on Feb. 14.
The cut resulted in a 70 percent laceration, an injury that required immediate surgery and prematurely ended Karlsson’s campaign.
Or so it was said at the time.
To give you an idea of how Karlsson looked in his first full practice, here’s Sportsnet’s Shannon Proudfoot from today’s practice:
Karlsson carving so aggressively, there was momentary confusion in the press corps about whether it was his right or left leg injured. #Sens
— Shannon Proudfoot (@sproudfoot) April 19, 2013
The Senators play Saturday at home against Toronto, and it’s doubtful Karlsson will be made available given he hasn’t played a game in over two months.
Monday, though, could be another story.
Ottawa will host Pittsburgh that night — you know, Cooke’s team — in what would be a dramatic return for the reigning Norris Trophy winner.
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 0
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 1
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 12
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 103
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)