Apr 19, 2013, 12:43 PM EST
Ottawa defenseman Erik Karlsson continued his remarkable recovery from a sliced Achilles tendon on Friday, getting cleared for contact and fully practicing with teammates for the first time since the injury.
What’s more, his return to game action sounds closer than ever.
Sens GM Bryan Murray said Karlsson is ‘100 percent’ and his return is contingent upon getting back into game shape.
The 22-year-old blueliner has been out of action since his left Achilles was sliced by Pittsburgh forward Matt Cooke on Feb. 14.
The cut resulted in a 70 percent laceration, an injury that required immediate surgery and prematurely ended Karlsson’s campaign.
Or so it was said at the time.
To give you an idea of how Karlsson looked in his first full practice, here’s Sportsnet’s Shannon Proudfoot from today’s practice:
Karlsson carving so aggressively, there was momentary confusion in the press corps about whether it was his right or left leg injured. #Sens
— Shannon Proudfoot (@sproudfoot) April 19, 2013
The Senators play Saturday at home against Toronto, and it’s doubtful Karlsson will be made available given he hasn’t played a game in over two months.
Monday, though, could be another story.
Ottawa will host Pittsburgh that night — you know, Cooke’s team — in what would be a dramatic return for the reigning Norris Trophy winner.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (70)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)