Apr 19, 2013, 11:41 AM EDT
OK, so lots of stuff could still happen. And this isn’t to dismiss the Columbus Blue Jackets, who could squeeze out both Detroit and Dallas for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Heck, Minnesota might end up below the top eight.
It’s just hard to look at the schedule and not focus on next Saturday’s contest between the Red Wings and Stars at the American Airlines Center. The way things stand right now, the last game of the season for each club could easily be the one that decides things.
Stars fans would certainly appreciate the opportunity given the way the 2010-11 season ended, when a final-game loss to the lowly Wild cost Dallas a spot in the playoffs.
That one still hurts, we imagine.
First though, the Stars have to keep themselves in the race against some tough competition. They play in St. Louis tonight, then travel to Los Angeles (Sunday) and San Jose (Tuesday), before returning home to play Columbus (Thursday).
The Red Wings are in Vancouver Saturday, then come home for games against Phoenix (Monday), Los Angeles (Wednesday), and Nashville (Thursday).
According to Sports Club Stats, both Dallas and Detroit have around a 40-percent chance of making the playoffs.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)