Apr 19, 2013, 5:44 PM EDT
Friday (8 p.m. ET) — Dallas at St. Louis
Even after trading away Brenden Morrow, Jaromir Jagr and Derek Roy prior to the deadline, the inspiring Stars find themselves in a heated race with the Red Wings and Blue Jackets for the final playoff spot in the West. Dallas beat the Canucks, 5-1, last night at home. The Blues, meanwhile, are winning games — and that’s good — but they sure aren’t scoring many goals.
Saturday (12:30 p.m. ET) — Pittsburgh at Boston
The tentatively scheduled make-up game after today’s postponement. Hopefully, the manhunt is over and Boston sports fans can enjoy a potential preview of the Eastern Conference finals. Coming at this purely from a hockey perspective (which is basically impossible), the Bruins need to get their act together before the playoffs. They haven’t won in their last three, and there was even talk that Milan Lucic could be a healthy scratch against the Pens. Will B’s fans get to see Carl Soderberg for the first time?
Saturday (3 p.m. ET) — NY Islanders at Winnipeg
The Islanders have won seven of their last nine, but it won’t be easy at what should be an insane MTS Centre. Winnipeg is also hot, having won five in a row after a five-game losing skid that most thought had ended the Jets’ playoff hopes. A loss to the Islanders would, well, really hurt the Jets’ playoff hopes.
Saturday (10 p.m. ET) — Detroit at Vancouver
Red Wings fans will be staying up late for this one, as their team desperately needs to make up for Wednesday’s 3-2 loss in Calgary. The Wings have just three wins in their last 10 games, putting their 21-straight-playoffs streak very much in jeopardy. Detroit beat Vancouver handily in each of the teams’ first two meetings. With just one win in their last four, the Canucks are stumbling at the wrong time.
Sunday (3 p.m. ET) — New Jersey at NY Rangers
On NBC! The hard-luck Devils are pretty much done, but perhaps they could take some solace by spoiling the Rangers’ playoff dreams. The two teams play again next Saturday, also at MSG. (And also on NBC!)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)