Apr 19, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
The Florida Panthers are playing out the string on their season, but they’ll have to do it on Saturday and Sunday without Erik Gudbranson.
The sophomore defenseman will miss this weekend’s games in New Jersey and Boston with a hand/wrist injury, according to the Miami Herald.
Gudbranson, 21, was hurt late in a 6-1 loss to the Rangers on Thursday night.
“Gudbranson is out for the weekend although it’s not anything we’re worried about long-term,” head coach Kevin Dineen told the Herald. “It’s just best to keep him out through the weekend.”
The Panthers sit dead last in the Eastern Conference with a 13-24-6 record, so it would make little sense to push Gudbranson and risk further injury.
The third overall pick in 2010 has had a tough 2013 campaign, missing the early part of the season with a shoulder injury, then going on to record just four assists (zero goals) in 32 games while posting an ugly minus-22 rating.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 70
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (70)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)