Apr 19, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers are playing out the string on their season, but they’ll have to do it on Saturday and Sunday without Erik Gudbranson.
The sophomore defenseman will miss this weekend’s games in New Jersey and Boston with a hand/wrist injury, according to the Miami Herald.
Gudbranson, 21, was hurt late in a 6-1 loss to the Rangers on Thursday night.
“Gudbranson is out for the weekend although it’s not anything we’re worried about long-term,” head coach Kevin Dineen told the Herald. “It’s just best to keep him out through the weekend.”
The Panthers sit dead last in the Eastern Conference with a 13-24-6 record, so it would make little sense to push Gudbranson and risk further injury.
The third overall pick in 2010 has had a tough 2013 campaign, missing the early part of the season with a shoulder injury, then going on to record just four assists (zero goals) in 32 games while posting an ugly minus-22 rating.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)