Apr 19, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers are playing out the string on their season, but they’ll have to do it on Saturday and Sunday without Erik Gudbranson.
The sophomore defenseman will miss this weekend’s games in New Jersey and Boston with a hand/wrist injury, according to the Miami Herald.
Gudbranson, 21, was hurt late in a 6-1 loss to the Rangers on Thursday night.
“Gudbranson is out for the weekend although it’s not anything we’re worried about long-term,” head coach Kevin Dineen told the Herald. “It’s just best to keep him out through the weekend.”
The Panthers sit dead last in the Eastern Conference with a 13-24-6 record, so it would make little sense to push Gudbranson and risk further injury.
The third overall pick in 2010 has had a tough 2013 campaign, missing the early part of the season with a shoulder injury, then going on to record just four assists (zero goals) in 32 games while posting an ugly minus-22 rating.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)