Apr 19, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers are playing out the string on their season, but they’ll have to do it on Saturday and Sunday without Erik Gudbranson.
The sophomore defenseman will miss this weekend’s games in New Jersey and Boston with a hand/wrist injury, according to the Miami Herald.
Gudbranson, 21, was hurt late in a 6-1 loss to the Rangers on Thursday night.
“Gudbranson is out for the weekend although it’s not anything we’re worried about long-term,” head coach Kevin Dineen told the Herald. “It’s just best to keep him out through the weekend.”
The Panthers sit dead last in the Eastern Conference with a 13-24-6 record, so it would make little sense to push Gudbranson and risk further injury.
The third overall pick in 2010 has had a tough 2013 campaign, missing the early part of the season with a shoulder injury, then going on to record just four assists (zero goals) in 32 games while posting an ugly minus-22 rating.
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 6
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 32
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 107
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115