Apr 19, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Chicago Blackhawks host the Nashville Predators at the United Center at 8:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
No matter what happens, the Chicago Blackhawks will enter the postseason with the first seed in the Western Conference, but they still have one thing left to fight for before the playoffs start: the Presidents’ Trophy.
“We still want to keep moving forward, whether we’re looking at Pittsburgh or still looking at how we play,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago.
Chicago has a four-point cushion on the Pittsburgh Penguins with a game in hand, so you’d think that the Blackhawks already have the Presidents’ Trophy all-but locked up. However, Pittsburgh has won 20 of their last 22 games and has shown no signs of letting up, so a mediocre finish from the Blackhawks could cost them their final regular season goal.
They’ll face a Predators team that has lost seven consecutive games and doesn’t have a ton left to play for as a squad. At the same time, there are young players with Nashville that have something to prove and likely see a tough team like Chicago as an ideal opponent to showcase their skills.
One example of that is 18-year-old forward Filip Forsberg. There was plenty of hype surrounding him when he made his NHL debut on Sunday and he’s going into this game looking for his first NHL point.
“He’s got really good hands and a heavy shot,” Predators coach Barry Trotz recently told The Tennessean. “I love the fact he loves to shoot the puck, and I think he has really good instincts when he has the puck. Just like every young player, he has to learn to play without the puck a little bit.”
We’ll see if Forsberg and the other players competing for jobs next season can give the surging Blackhawks trouble tonight.
Chicago – Forwards: Patrick Sharp (shoulder – questionable) Goaltenders: Ray Emery (leg)
Nashville – Forwards: Patric Hornqvist (upper body), Brandon Yip (lower body), Paul Gaustad (shoulder), Mike Fisher (hand), Gabriel Bourque (upper body), Colin Wilson (shoulder) Defensemen: Kevin Klein (undisclosed)
Mar 11, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Washington desperately needs the two points.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 21
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)