Apr 19, 2013, 12:16 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens came into tonight’s game on a three-game losing skid and one more poor performance from Carey Price from a full-blown meltdown in Quebec. Fortunately for them, they avoided further worrying tonight.
Brian Gionta scored a power play goal with 47 seconds left in the third period to give the Habs a 3-2 win over the Lightning. Gionta had two goals on the night while Alex Galchenyuk had one in between those tallies.
More importantly for Montreal tonight, Price stood tall stopping 32 shots out of 34.
During Montreal’s three-game skid, Price was getting run out of the building giving up three to the Penguins on Wednesday, six to the Flyers on Monday, and getting chased early last Saturday against Toronto giving up three goals on four shots.
A solid game tonight from Price and a win helps cool fans off who were ready to officially freak out. Seeing the Habs back in first place after ceding control for a day to the Bruins should help chill them out.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 12
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 36
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6