Apr 19, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
“Other than what I think of our guy, he’s the best captain in hockey,” LA’s head coach told the Chicago Daily Herald. “Think about it, he’s already raised the Stanley Cup, so he’s got it.
“Everything he does presents himself as the ultimate player.”
Toews, 24, is getting a lot of buzz right now thanks to TSN’s recent coaches poll, which suggested he was the “overwhelming choice for Hart Trophy MVP consideration in the Western Conference.”
The Chicago captain is having another solid year, pacing the top team in the NHL (33-5-4) to what could be their first Presidents Trophy since 1990-91.
Toews has six points in his last four games and has 44 points in 42 games. More impressive, and perhaps a better indication of just how good Chicago has been, is Toews’ plus-minus rating. His plus-27 rating puts him third amongst all NHL players this season.
Dubbed “Captain Serious” due to his maturity level, Toews has earned equal measures of respect both on and off the ice.
It’s something Sutter alluded to in anointing him the best captain in the game.
“Jonathan impacts their locker room, maybe more so than his on-ice performance,” he explained. “Just what he brings them.
“He is the consummate player.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)