Apr 19, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
“Other than what I think of our guy, he’s the best captain in hockey,” LA’s head coach told the Chicago Daily Herald. “Think about it, he’s already raised the Stanley Cup, so he’s got it.
“Everything he does presents himself as the ultimate player.”
Toews, 24, is getting a lot of buzz right now thanks to TSN’s recent coaches poll, which suggested he was the “overwhelming choice for Hart Trophy MVP consideration in the Western Conference.”
The Chicago captain is having another solid year, pacing the top team in the NHL (33-5-4) to what could be their first Presidents Trophy since 1990-91.
Toews has six points in his last four games and has 44 points in 42 games. More impressive, and perhaps a better indication of just how good Chicago has been, is Toews’ plus-minus rating. His plus-27 rating puts him third amongst all NHL players this season.
Dubbed “Captain Serious” due to his maturity level, Toews has earned equal measures of respect both on and off the ice.
It’s something Sutter alluded to in anointing him the best captain in the game.
“Jonathan impacts their locker room, maybe more so than his on-ice performance,” he explained. “Just what he brings them.
“He is the consummate player.”
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 8
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 35
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 18
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32