Apr 19, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
“Other than what I think of our guy, he’s the best captain in hockey,” LA’s told the Chicago Daily Herald. “Think about it, he’s already raised the Stanley Cup, so he’s got it.
“Everything he does presents himself as the ultimate player.”
Toews, 24, is getting a lot of buzz right now thanks to TSN’s recent coaches poll, which suggested he was the “overwhelming choice for Hart Trophy MVP consideration in the Western Conference.”
The Chicago captain is having another solid year, pacing the top team in the NHL (33-5-4) to what could be their first Presidents Trophy since 1990-91.
Toews has six points in his last four games and has 44 points in 42 games. More impressive, and perhaps a better indication of just how good Chicago has been, is Toews’ plus-minus rating. His plus-27 rating puts him third amongst all NHL players this season.
Dubbed “Captain Serious” due to his maturity level, Toews has earned equal measures of respect both on and off the ice.
It’s something Sutter alluded to in anointing him the best captain in the game.
“Jonathan impacts their locker room, maybe more so than his on-ice performance,” he explained. “Just what he brings them.
“He is the consummate player.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)