Apr 19, 2013, 1:51 AM EST
The Blue Jackets headed into their game with the L.A. Kings tonight riding high after knocking off Anaheim last night. They wound up feeling frustrated after a missed opportunity.
Drew Doughty and Kyle Clifford scored goals for the Kings as they knocked off Columbus 2-1. Rookie Dalton Prout tallied his first NHL goal for the Jackets in a losing effort. 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy winner Jonathan Quick stopped 20 shots to earn the victory.
It’s a sore loss for Columbus as they could’ve tied Minnesota for seventh in the West with a win. Instead, they’ve got three games left to play and have both Detroit and Dallas nipping at their heels two points behind with two games in hand each.
Columbus’ three final games are on the road in San Jose and Dallas while closing at home vs. Nashville. That game with Dallas might just be a really big one for them.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)