Apr 19, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers will not compete in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
That much was made official Friday evening, when the New York Rangers crushed the fading chances of the Flyers qualifying for the post-season with an 8-4 victory over the Buffalo Sabres. The Rangers win also eliminated the Sabres from playoff contention.
The Flyers lost five of their first seven games and never could get back to their winning ways of recent years.
“It’s the first time in a long time for Philadelphia, for myself, to be eliminated not by your own doing,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell told CSN Philadelphia. “It sucks.”
The Flyers’ disappointing performance during this lockout-shortened season has led to questions about how the franchise moves forward.
This has led to talk about the future of head coach Peter Laviolette, although general manager Paul Holmgren recently gave the bench boss a vote of confidence, despite not making the playoffs.
The 32-year-old puck stopper has endured a second shaky season in Philadelphia, with an 18-17-3 record. His 2.84 goals-against average is ranked 38th among NHL goalies and his .898 save percentage is 45th in the league.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)