Apr 19, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers will not compete in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
That much was made official Friday evening, when the New York Rangers crushed the fading chances of the Flyers qualifying for the post-season with an 8-4 victory over the Buffalo Sabres. The Rangers win also eliminated the Sabres from playoff contention.
The Flyers lost five of their first seven games and never could get back to their winning ways of recent years.
“It’s the first time in a long time for Philadelphia, for myself, to be eliminated not by your own doing,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell told CSN Philadelphia. “It sucks.”
The Flyers’ disappointing performance during this lockout-shortened season has led to questions about how the franchise moves forward.
This has led to talk about the future of head coach Peter Laviolette, although general manager Paul Holmgren recently gave the bench boss a vote of confidence, despite not making the playoffs.
The 32-year-old puck stopper has endured a second shaky season in Philadelphia, with an 18-17-3 record. His 2.84 goals-against average is ranked 38th among NHL goalies and his .898 save percentage is 45th in the league.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 2
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 2
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)