Apr 19, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers will not compete in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
That much was made official Friday evening, when the New York Rangers crushed the fading chances of the Flyers qualifying for the post-season with an 8-4 victory over the Buffalo Sabres. The Rangers win also eliminated the Sabres from playoff contention.
The Flyers lost five of their first seven games and never could get back to their winning ways of recent years.
“It’s the first time in a long time for Philadelphia, for myself, to be eliminated not by your own doing,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell told CSN Philadelphia. “It sucks.”
The Flyers’ disappointing performance during this lockout-shortened season has led to questions about how the franchise moves forward.
This has led to talk about the future of head coach Peter Laviolette, although general manager Paul Holmgren recently gave the bench boss a vote of confidence, despite not making the playoffs.
The 32-year-old puck stopper has endured a second shaky season in Philadelphia, with an 18-17-3 record. His 2.84 goals-against average is ranked 38th among NHL goalies and his .898 save percentage is 45th in the league.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)