Dubinsky’s match penalty rescinded

Apr 19, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT

The match penalty Columbus forward Brandon Dubinsky received for his role in last night’s melee between the Blue Jackets and Kings has been rescinded by the NHL.

Per Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen was told this morning by the league of the decision to overturn the original ruling.

Following is the incident:

Dubinsky was presumably assessed the match penalty for dropping his gloves and punching Kings defenseman Drew Doughty, who proceeded to skate away and cover up in front of the vacated Los Angeles goal.

However, upon review, the league likely noted it was Doughty who struck Dubinsky first with a gloved punch to the back of the head as the fracas started.

“I got clocked from behind, so when I turned around, I expected there to be a fight,” Dubinsky said.

1. no - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM

the fact that this was even a match penalty initially is a JOKE.

if I’m drew doughty, I’m getting back home ASAP to throw out my bulk package of Summer’s Eve before
    my true identity is discovered

• rippit2000 - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM

No kidding – pair him up with Subban on the All-Turtle Team.

2. rodeoclowndc - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Go change your tampon, Doughty…

3. President Charles Logan - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Dubinsky’s a loser , always has been always will be .

4. barbarian9 - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Good move NHL.

5. shortsxit34 - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Kings fan here.

Don’t know how he received the Match in the first place. When Doughty turtles, Dubinsky doesn’t throw.

Doughty shoulda gotten a Ten for forgetting to hike up his skirt before throwing the cheap shot.

6. aventador12 - Apr 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Never thought that D. Doughty’s a P*s*y. For him to throw cheap-shots and then crumble like that to avoid a match-up, embarrassing. As a Kings fan, that’s just sheer embarrassment. Dubinsky honored the code w/c I respect. Good for him. But Doughty?, SMH.

• sheablane - Apr 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

SMH?

7. larrybiv - Apr 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

At least the NHL rectified it. I commented on team stream that Debbie Doughty invented a new “position” on the ice. Used to be Goaltending, defenseman, left and right wings and center. Now the NHL must add “fetal”.

8. 2qswing - Apr 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Geez Drew you are really taking a beating here. Please allow me to pile on. a question … will you show up next year fat and out of shape for the third year in a row. Guy takes half the season to get in shape and start producing. I wasn’t sure if that was Lasorda or you taking the ice last night to drop the puck.

• tsarnikkola - Apr 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM

You think Doughty didn’t produce this season because he was out of shape? You do realize he played the defensive role on a pairing with Muzzin most of the season due to Greene and Mitchell’s injuries? Since he was paired more often with the recently acquired Regehr, he started scoring frequently. On top of that, even when he was playing a more defensive role, he had taken more shots per game this season than any prior.

9. earpaniac - Apr 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Geez, Doughty! You punch a guy in the head from behind, get hit with one glancing blow, and then turtle up? I think he took the old TMNT theme song too literally and decided “Turtle Power” was real.

10. letsgopens8771 - Apr 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

What’s the point of rescinding the penalty now after the fact? Makes no sense, just like the penalty itself.

11. banger60 - Apr 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Dougherty, you should have hit him with your purse,, p*ssy.

12. banger60 - Apr 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Don’t get excited, my spelling was wrong.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches