Apr 19, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Emotions ran high during Los Angeles’ 2-1 victory over Columbus. That wasn’t more apparent than when several players from both teams got into a brawl as the final buzzer sounded.
During the melee, Columbus Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky engaged Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. Doughty appeared to try and skate away from Dubinsky, but Dubinsky stayed with him until Doughty went down and a referee intervened.
As Doughty was attempting to get away, Dubinsky appeared to throw a punch.
“Just a cheap shot, and that’s his personality,” Kings forward Kyle Clifford said, according to the Columbus Dispatch. “We’ve got guys out there and he goes after Doughty, who is not our toughest player.”
Dubinsky received a match penalty and, in keeping with league policy, has been suspended until the league rules on the issue.
You can see the incident below:
UPDATE: After reviewing the video, Doughty does join the fray as the final horn sounds, contributing to the scuffle. This wasn’t fully expressed in the above copy. PHT regrets the oversight.
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 0
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 5
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 15
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 23
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 41
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 90
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)