Apr 19, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
Emotions ran high during Los Angeles’ 2-1 victory over Columbus. That wasn’t more apparent than when several players from both teams got into a brawl as the final buzzer sounded.
During the melee, Columbus Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky engaged Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. Doughty appeared to try and skate away from Dubinsky, but Dubinsky stayed with him until Doughty went down and a referee intervened.
As Doughty was attempting to get away, Dubinsky appeared to throw a punch.
“Just a cheap shot, and that’s his personality,” Kings forward Kyle Clifford said, according to the Columbus Dispatch. “We’ve got guys out there and he goes after Doughty, who is not our toughest player.”
Dubinsky received a match penalty and, in keeping with league policy, has been suspended until the league rules on the issue.
You can see the incident below:
UPDATE: After reviewing the video, Doughty does join the fray as the final horn sounds, contributing to the scuffle. This wasn’t fully expressed in the above copy. PHT regrets the oversight.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)