Apr 19, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Emotions ran high during Los Angeles’ 2-1 victory over Columbus. That wasn’t more apparent than when several players from both teams got into a brawl as the final buzzer sounded.
During the melee, Columbus Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky engaged Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. Doughty appeared to try and skate away from Dubinsky, but Dubinsky stayed with him until Doughty went down and a referee intervened.
As Doughty was attempting to get away, Dubinsky appeared to throw a punch.
“Just a cheap shot, and that’s his personality,” Kings forward Kyle Clifford said, according to the Columbus Dispatch. “We’ve got guys out there and he goes after Doughty, who is not our toughest player.”
Dubinsky received a match penalty and, in keeping with league policy, has been suspended until the league rules on the issue.
You can see the incident below:
UPDATE: After reviewing the video, Doughty does join the fray as the final horn sounds, contributing to the scuffle. This wasn’t fully expressed in the above copy. PHT regrets the oversight.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 50
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)