Apr 19, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
Emotions ran high during Los Angeles’ 2-1 victory over Columbus. That wasn’t more apparent than when several players from both teams got into a brawl as the final buzzer sounded.
During the melee, Columbus Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky engaged Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. Doughty appeared to try and skate away from Dubinsky, but Dubinsky stayed with him until Doughty went down and a referee intervened.
As Doughty was attempting to get away, Dubinsky appeared to throw a punch.
“Just a cheap shot, and that’s his personality,” Kings forward Kyle Clifford said, according to the Columbus Dispatch. “We’ve got guys out there and he goes after Doughty, who is not our toughest player.”
Dubinsky received a match penalty and, in keeping with league policy, has been suspended until the league rules on the issue.
You can see the incident below:
UPDATE: After reviewing the video, Doughty does join the fray as the final horn sounds, contributing to the scuffle. This wasn’t fully expressed in the above copy. PHT regrets the oversight.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)