Apr 19, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Emotions ran high during Los Angeles’ 2-1 victory over Columbus. That wasn’t more apparent than when several players from both teams got into a brawl as the final buzzer sounded.
During the melee, Columbus Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky engaged Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. Doughty appeared to try and skate away from Dubinsky, but Dubinsky stayed with him until Doughty went down and a referee intervened.
As Doughty was attempting to get away, Dubinsky appeared to throw a punch.
“Just a cheap shot, and that’s his personality,” Kings forward Kyle Clifford said, according to the Columbus Dispatch. “We’ve got guys out there and he goes after Doughty, who is not our toughest player.”
Dubinsky received a match penalty and, in keeping with league policy, has been suspended until the league rules on the issue.
You can see the incident below:
UPDATE: After reviewing the video, Doughty does join the fray as the final horn sounds, contributing to the scuffle. This wasn’t fully expressed in the above copy. PHT regrets the oversight.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 3
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 35
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)