Apr 19, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
After a streak of 10 consecutive losses essentially ended his club’s playoff hopes, Peter DeBoer said he isn’t thinking about losing his job.
“Doesn’t even cross my mind,” he told Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com. “In the reality of pro sports and hockey it’s not an unfair question.
“It happens all the time, but at ground level where I’m working I don’t think about that and I never have.”
DeBoer probably doesn’t need to worry all that much. He had an outstanding first year on the job in 2011-12, winning 48 games and taking the sixth-seeded Devils to the Stanley Cup finals.
As for this year’s struggles — well, they’ve largely been out of his control.
“Very seldom do you ever see a group as a whole go in a drought,” Lamoriello explained. “Quite frankly [the slump] is one of my unique experience right now because I haven’t seen something like this.”
Of course, DeBoer also knows the age old adage:
Coaches are hired to be fired.
He lasted all of three seasons in Florida before being shown the door, and works for a GM in Lamoriello that’s known for his coaching decisions.
Lamoriello fired Claude Julien in late in the 2007 season, even though the Devils led the Atlantic Division and had the second-best record in the Eastern Conference.
He turfed John MacLean 33 games into the 2010 campaign — MacLean’s first year on the job — and replaced him with Jacques Lemaire. Lemaire, of course, was the guy MacLean was brought into replace.
(All told, Lamoriello has made five coaching changes since 2009.)
Despite all this, DeBoer remains focused on the task at hand, and that’s winning hockey games.
“My mindset is we do the best possible job we can to prepare our team and win and other people decide whether that’s good enough or not,” he explained.
“It’s out of my control.”
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)