Apr 19, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
It’s not often a team scores just seven goals in seven games and ends up with five victories.
But that’s exactly what the Blues have managed in their last seven contests. Two 1-0 wins. One 2-0 victory. And a couple of 2-1 shootout triumphs, including last night’s over Phoenix.
Suffice to say, goalie Brian Elliott has been their most important player. The 28-year-old who struggled so badly earlier this season was the savior once again on Thursday.
“We didn’t play our best game,” St. Louis d-man Barret Jackman said, per the Post-Dispatch. “I think we let the way that they play dictate the way we played. And it should be the other way around. We were trying to pick them apart instead of playing in straight lines.
“The two points is huge and (Elliott) stood on his head again.”
“We can’t play like that at this time of the year,” added head coach Ken Hitchcock. “Even if you do get into the playoffs, there’s too many holes in your game.
“The goalie saved us tonight.”
Offensively, St. Louis has fallen all the way to 17th in the NHL (2.54 goals per game).
One of the major reasons? The Blues — who started the season with a red-hot power play — have scored just twice with the man advantage in their last 15 games.
At the very least, St. Louis has had at least 30 shots in each of its past four outings. Opposition goalies — including Vezina Trophy candidate Sergei Bobrovsky, plus two others enjoying strong seasons in Chicago’s Corey Crawford and Vancouver’s Cory Schneider — have combined for a .977 save percentage over that stretch.
St. Louis hosts a desperate Dallas side tonight. The Stars, unlike the Blues, aren’t have trouble scoring. They’ve got 26 goals in their last seven games.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2