Apr 19, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
Thursday’s loss to the Kings was a tough blow for the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Afterward, they got another one.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch suggests the timetable could be 2-4 weeks.
Translation: Calvert could miss the remainder of the regular season.
Such a loss would be tough for the Jackets as Calvert, 24, has been a key contributor during their surprising playoff push. He has 9G-7A-16PTS in 42 games while averaging a career-high 14:11 per contest.
Here’s a good rundown of what Calvert’s brought to the Jackets, courtesy Fox Sports Ohio’s Dan Kamal:
Losing Calvert takes away a forward whose confidence and productivity have been skyrocketing.
And with his speed and relentless forechecking style, Calvert has been emerging as a legitimate game-breaking forward, one who has become a nightmare for opposition defenders, especially when he has been able to blast through the neutral zone at full speed.
Columbus has three games remaining this season: Sunday, Apr. 21 at San Jose; Thursday, Apr. 25 at Dallas and Saturday, Apr. 27 at home against Nashville.
At the time of writing, the Jackets sit eighth in the Western Conference with 49 points, two up on Dallas and Detroit.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)