Apr 18, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
A poll of 25 National Hockey League head coaches recently completed by TSN hockey insider Bob McKenzie revealed Sidney Crosby as the top choice for the Hart Trophy as the player voted on to be the most valuable to his team.
That’s at least based on the opinion of the majority of Eastern Conference coaches who responded to the survey, McKenzie reported.
Crosby still leads the league in scoring with 56 points in 36 games, however he hasn’t played since suffering a broken jaw on March 30, when he took a puck in the mouth.
McKenzie also reported that Jonathan Toews of the Chicago Blackhawks was the “overwhelming choice for Hart Trophy MVP consideration in the Western Conference.”
The 24-year-old captain is having another solid year for the Blackhawks, currently the top team in the NHL with the end of the regular season in sight.
Toews has six points in his last four games and has 44 points in 42 games. More impressive, and perhaps a better indication of just how good Chicago has been, is Toews’ plus-minus rating. His plus-27 rating puts him third amongst all NHL players this season.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 17
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)