Apr 18, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
A poll of 25 National Hockey League head coaches recently completed by TSN hockey insider Bob McKenzie revealed Sidney Crosby as the top choice for the Hart Trophy as the player voted on to be the most valuable to his team.
That’s at least based on the opinion of the majority of Eastern Conference coaches who responded to the survey, McKenzie reported.
Crosby still leads the league in scoring with 56 points in 36 games, however he hasn’t played since suffering a broken jaw on March 30, when he took a puck in the mouth.
McKenzie also reported that Jonathan Toews of the Chicago Blackhawks was the “overwhelming choice for Hart Trophy MVP consideration in the Western Conference.”
The 24-year-old captain is having another solid year for the Blackhawks, currently the top team in the NHL with the end of the regular season in sight.
Toews has six points in his last four games and has 44 points in 42 games. More impressive, and perhaps a better indication of just how good Chicago has been, is Toews’ plus-minus rating. His plus-27 rating puts him third amongst all NHL players this season.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)