Apr 18, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Dallas is still alive in the hunt for the playoffs in the West and they took care of business in impressive fashion tonight.
The Stars rattled off five unanswered goals including four in the third period on their way to a 5-1 win. Jamie Benn and Cody Eakin each had a goal and an assist while Kari Lehtonen stopped 31 out of 32 shots. Former Star Derek Roy had the only tally for Vancouver.
In the process, the Stars kept their own playoff hopes alive as the win tied them with Detroit with 47 points in ninth place in the West. Dallas has the tiebreaker with Detroit based on having one more regulation or overtime win than the Red Wings.
Dallas is getting good at denying teams the chance to clinch a playoff spot. Last week they prevented the Ducks from clinching by earning a victory and tonight they kept the Vancouver Canucks from punching their ticket.
This, of course, led to the Stars’ Twitter account doing their job to troll the Canucks with a little Game of Thrones humor.
Using Dikembe Mutombo to send a message may have been a bit better.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)