Apr 18, 2013, 11:45 PM EST
Dallas is still alive in the hunt for the playoffs in the West and they took care of business in impressive fashion tonight.
The Stars rattled off five unanswered goals including four in the third period on their way to a 5-1 win. Jamie Benn and Cody Eakin each had a goal and an assist while Kari Lehtonen stopped 31 out of 32 shots. Former Star Derek Roy had the only tally for Vancouver.
In the process, the Stars kept their own playoff hopes alive as the win tied them with Detroit with 47 points in ninth place in the West. Dallas has the tiebreaker with Detroit based on having one more regulation or overtime win than the Red Wings.
Dallas is getting good at denying teams the chance to clinch a playoff spot. Last week they prevented the Ducks from clinching by earning a victory and tonight they kept the Vancouver Canucks from punching their ticket.
This, of course, led to the Stars’ Twitter account doing their job to troll the Canucks with a little Game of Thrones humor.
Using Dikembe Mutombo to send a message may have been a bit better.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 30
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 52
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)