Apr 18, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Dallas is still alive in the hunt for the playoffs in the West and they took care of business in impressive fashion tonight.
The Stars rattled off five unanswered goals including four in the third period on their way to a 5-1 win. Jamie Benn and Cody Eakin each had a goal and an assist while Kari Lehtonen stopped 31 out of 32 shots. Former Star Derek Roy had the only tally for Vancouver.
In the process, the Stars kept their own playoff hopes alive as the win tied them with Detroit with 47 points in ninth place in the West. Dallas has the tiebreaker with Detroit based on having one more regulation or overtime win than the Red Wings.
Dallas is getting good at denying teams the chance to clinch a playoff spot. Last week they prevented the Ducks from clinching by earning a victory and tonight they kept the Vancouver Canucks from punching their ticket.
This, of course, led to the Stars’ Twitter account doing their job to troll the Canucks with a little Game of Thrones humor.
Using Dikembe Mutombo to send a message may have been a bit better.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)