Apr 18, 2013, 11:45 PM EST
Dallas is still alive in the hunt for the playoffs in the West and they took care of business in impressive fashion tonight.
The Stars rattled off five unanswered goals including four in the third period on their way to a 5-1 win. Jamie Benn and Cody Eakin each had a goal and an assist while Kari Lehtonen stopped 31 out of 32 shots. Former Star Derek Roy had the only tally for Vancouver.
In the process, the Stars kept their own playoff hopes alive as the win tied them with Detroit with 47 points in ninth place in the West. Dallas has the tiebreaker with Detroit based on having one more regulation or overtime win than the Red Wings.
Dallas is getting good at denying teams the chance to clinch a playoff spot. Last week they prevented the Ducks from clinching by earning a victory and tonight they kept the Vancouver Canucks from punching their ticket.
This, of course, led to the Stars’ Twitter account doing their job to troll the Canucks with a little Game of Thrones humor.
Using Dikembe Mutombo to send a message may have been a bit better.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)