Apr 18, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Dallas is still alive in the hunt for the playoffs in the West and they took care of business in impressive fashion tonight.
The Stars rattled off five unanswered goals including four in the third period on their way to a 5-1 win. Jamie Benn and Cody Eakin each had a goal and an assist while Kari Lehtonen stopped 31 out of 32 shots. Former Star Derek Roy had the only tally for Vancouver.
In the process, the Stars kept their own playoff hopes alive as the win tied them with Detroit with 47 points in ninth place in the West. Dallas has the tiebreaker with Detroit based on having one more regulation or overtime win than the Red Wings.
Dallas is getting good at denying teams the chance to clinch a playoff spot. Last week they prevented the Ducks from clinching by earning a victory and tonight they kept the Vancouver Canucks from punching their ticket.
This, of course, led to the Stars’ Twitter account doing their job to troll the Canucks with a little Game of Thrones humor.
Using Dikembe Mutombo to send a message may have been a bit better.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5