Apr 18, 2013, 2:18 AM EST
It’s been said many times, but the Detroit Red Wings last missed the playoffs in 1990. That’s a remarkable run of competing for the Stanley Cup in the post-season and it could be coming to an end.
The Wings are, with five games remaining in their regular season schedule, now ninth in the Western Conference and in danger of missing the post-season after a 3-2 loss to the Calgary Flames on Wednesday night.
To sensationalize it, the Red Wings are on the outside, looking in.
“You’ve got to win your way in,” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock told NHL.com.
“You can’t watch your way in. You’ve got to win your way in. We take a lot of pride in being a real competitive team. I think we’ve been competitive this year. We’re not at the level we’ve been in the past for sure, but we’ve competed hard.
“I thought we competed hard tonight, but we didn’t start on time and we made a couple mistakes.”
The Columbus Blue Jackets, with a 3-2 overtime win over the Anaheim Ducks also on Wednesday, moved past their Central Division rivals from Detroit and into that eighth and final playoff spot.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)