Apr 18, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
It’s been said many times, but the Detroit Red Wings last missed the playoffs in 1990. That’s a remarkable run of competing for the Stanley Cup in the post-season and it could be coming to an end.
The Wings are, with five games remaining in their regular season schedule, now ninth in the Western Conference and in danger of missing the post-season after a 3-2 loss to the Calgary Flames on Wednesday night.
To sensationalize it, the Red Wings are on the outside, looking in.
“You’ve got to win your way in,” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock told NHL.com.
“You can’t watch your way in. You’ve got to win your way in. We take a lot of pride in being a real competitive team. I think we’ve been competitive this year. We’re not at the level we’ve been in the past for sure, but we’ve competed hard.
“I thought we competed hard tonight, but we didn’t start on time and we made a couple mistakes.”
The Columbus Blue Jackets, with a 3-2 overtime win over the Anaheim Ducks also on Wednesday, moved past their Central Division rivals from Detroit and into that eighth and final playoff spot.
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 0
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 6
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)