Apr 18, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
It’s been said many times, but the Detroit Red Wings last missed the playoffs in 1990. That’s a remarkable run of competing for the Stanley Cup in the post-season and it could be coming to an end.
The Wings are, with five games remaining in their regular season schedule, now ninth in the Western Conference and in danger of missing the post-season after a 3-2 loss to the Calgary Flames on Wednesday night.
To sensationalize it, the Red Wings are on the outside, looking in.
“You’ve got to win your way in,” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock told NHL.com.
“You can’t watch your way in. You’ve got to win your way in. We take a lot of pride in being a real competitive team. I think we’ve been competitive this year. We’re not at the level we’ve been in the past for sure, but we’ve competed hard.
“I thought we competed hard tonight, but we didn’t start on time and we made a couple mistakes.”
The Columbus Blue Jackets, with a 3-2 overtime win over the Anaheim Ducks also on Wednesday, moved past their Central Division rivals from Detroit and into that eighth and final playoff spot.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)