Apr 18, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
The defending Stanley Cup champs are getting a key piece of their defense back in time for the playoffs.
That was the story out of Los Angeles on Thursday as Kings GM Dean Lombardi announced Matt Greene had been activated from injured reserve.
Greene, 29, hasn’t played in the last 42 games after suffering a back injury during a season-opening loss to Chicago.
The Kings have missed the 6-foot-3, 232 pound rearguard’s presence, especially after he scored a career-high four goals and 15 points in 2011-12.
Greene followed that up by chipping in 2G-4A-6PTS in 20 playoff games en route to the first championship in franchise history.
It’s possible Greene could draw back into the lineup tonight when the Kings host Columbus at Staples, though head coach Darryl Sutter wasn’t sure what to expect from him after so much time off.
“Quite honest, if he’s not ready to play three or four games, and if we made the playoffs, I’d have trouble putting him in for sure,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider. “He played, what, a few minutes of the year. So it’s not about ‘what you did’. It’s ‘what you’re doing.’
“It’s very simple. I mean, he’s going to have to play three or four games, very simple, otherwise I could not be comfortable with it.”
Greene underwent surgery for a herniated disc in his back in late January.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (54)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)