Apr 18, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
If you weren’t already talking about John Tavares possibly being a Hart Trophy candidate, it may be time to fix that.
The Islanders star forward had two goals and an assist tonight to help lead the way to a 5-3 win over the playoff-itchy Toronto Maple Leafs.
Toronto has been hoping to clinch a playoff spot with a win (and a loss by Winnipeg) but have been unable to do that the last two games. Instead, Tavares has the Islanders inching closer to sealing up their own playoff destiny as the victory gives them 51 points on the season and puts them just two points back of the fifth place Leafs.
Tavares, meanwhile, now has 45 points on the season including 26 goals. That’s good enough to put him third in the league for goals and ninth in points. With how low the expectations were for the Islanders, making the playoffs should give Tavares’ case for the Hart Trophy a significant boost.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 7
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)