Apr 18, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
If you weren’t already talking about John Tavares possibly being a Hart Trophy candidate, it may be time to fix that.
The Islanders star forward had two goals and an assist tonight to help lead the way to a 5-3 win over the playoff-itchy Toronto Maple Leafs.
Toronto has been hoping to clinch a playoff spot with a win (and a loss by Winnipeg) but have been unable to do that the last two games. Instead, Tavares has the Islanders inching closer to sealing up their own playoff destiny as the victory gives them 51 points on the season and puts them just two points back of the fifth place Leafs.
Tavares, meanwhile, now has 45 points on the season including 26 goals. That’s good enough to put him third in the league for goals and ninth in points. With how low the expectations were for the Islanders, making the playoffs should give Tavares’ case for the Hart Trophy a significant boost.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 4
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)