Apr 18, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
If you weren’t already talking about John Tavares possibly being a Hart Trophy candidate, it may be time to fix that.
The Islanders star forward had two goals and an assist tonight to help lead the way to a 5-3 win over the playoff-itchy Toronto Maple Leafs.
Toronto has been hoping to clinch a playoff spot with a win (and a loss by Winnipeg) but have been unable to do that the last two games. Instead, Tavares has the Islanders inching closer to sealing up their own playoff destiny as the victory gives them 51 points on the season and puts them just two points back of the fifth place Leafs.
Tavares, meanwhile, now has 45 points on the season including 26 goals. That’s good enough to put him third in the league for goals and ninth in points. With how low the expectations were for the Islanders, making the playoffs should give Tavares’ case for the Hart Trophy a significant boost.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)