Apr 18, 2013, 4:27 PM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov will be back in Philadelphia’s goal tonight when the Flyers host the Devils.
The decision by coach Peter Laviolette to start Bryzgalov over Steve Mason is somewhat interesting given Mason was named the first star in Tuesday’s 4-2 victory over the Rangers.
Mason stopped 38 of New York’s 40 shots that night, outplaying last year’s Vezina Trophy winner, Henrik Lundqvist.
“We just couldn’t solve Mason,” Rangers coach John Tortorella said.
Granted, Bryzgalov also won his last start, a 7-3 victory over the Canadiens on Monday.
“Both of our goaltenders have played real well lately, I think,” Laviolette said, per CSNPhilly.com.
Philadelphia has five games left in a season that will all but certainly end without a playoff appearance.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 7
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 80
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 41
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (83)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (76)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)