Apr 18, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov will be back in Philadelphia’s goal tonight when the Flyers host the Devils.
The decision by coach Peter Laviolette to start Bryzgalov over Steve Mason is somewhat interesting given Mason was named the first star in Tuesday’s 4-2 victory over the Rangers.
Mason stopped 38 of New York’s 40 shots that night, outplaying last year’s Vezina Trophy winner, Henrik Lundqvist.
“We just couldn’t solve Mason,” Rangers coach John Tortorella said.
Granted, Bryzgalov also won his last start, a 7-3 victory over the Canadiens on Monday.
“Both of our goaltenders have played real well lately, I think,” Laviolette said, per CSNPhilly.com.
Philadelphia has five games left in a season that will all but certainly end without a playoff appearance.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5