Apr 18, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov will be back in Philadelphia’s goal tonight when the Flyers host the Devils.
The decision by coach Peter Laviolette to start Bryzgalov over Steve Mason is somewhat interesting given Mason was named the first star in Tuesday’s 4-2 victory over the Rangers.
Mason stopped 38 of New York’s 40 shots that night, outplaying last year’s Vezina Trophy winner, Henrik Lundqvist.
“We just couldn’t solve Mason,” Rangers coach John Tortorella said.
Granted, Bryzgalov also won his last start, a 7-3 victory over the Canadiens on Monday.
“Both of our goaltenders have played real well lately, I think,” Laviolette said, per CSNPhilly.com.
Philadelphia has five games left in a season that will all but certainly end without a playoff appearance.
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 7
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 2
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 9
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)