Apr 18, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
It’s been two months since Scott Howson was fired from his post as Blue Jackets GM.
Yet according to the Columbus Dispatch, his legacy could still affect the team in a major way.
The Jackets, 3-2 OT winners last night against Anaheim to move into eighth in the Western Conference with 49 points, have just 16 wins in regulation/overtime this season.
The teams they’re fighting for eighth with — Detroit (47 points) and Dallas (45) — have 18 and 19, and that’s important because ROWs (regulation plus overtime wins) is the official standings tiebreaker.
It’s also Howson’s brainchild.
Here’s more, from the Dispatch:
An NHL rule change adopted three seasons ago after Howson introduced it to the league’s Board of Governors could end up costing the Blue Jackets a spot in the postseason.
The “Howson Rule” altered the postseason tiebreaking process, making a team’s number of regulation and overtime victories the first tiebreaker.
In other words, shootout victories would be removed from the total.
Adding to the issue is that Columbus has just four games remaining in the regular season, while Detroit has five and Dallas has six.
Trying to catch either team for ROWs will be extremely difficult — so, the Jackets know they have to beat the Wings and Stars on points.
“Obviously, nobody knew we were going to be in this spot a few years ago,” winger Jared Boll told the Dispatch. “We have to be a point better than everybody else.
“That’s just the way it goes.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)