Apr 18, 2013, 10:56 AM EST
It’s been two months since Scott Howson was fired from his post as Blue Jackets GM.
Yet according to the Columbus Dispatch, his legacy could still affect the team in a major way.
The Jackets, 3-2 OT winners last night against Anaheim to move into eighth in the Western Conference with 49 points, have just 16 wins in regulation/overtime this season.
The teams they’re fighting for eighth with — Detroit (47 points) and Dallas (45) — have 18 and 19, and that’s important because ROWs (regulation plus overtime wins) is the official standings tiebreaker.
It’s also Howson’s brainchild.
Here’s more, from the Dispatch:
An NHL rule change adopted three seasons ago after Howson introduced it to the league’s Board of Governors could end up costing the Blue Jackets a spot in the postseason.
The “Howson Rule” altered the postseason tiebreaking process, making a team’s number of regulation and overtime victories the first tiebreaker.
In other words, shootout victories would be removed from the total.
Adding to the issue is that Columbus has just four games remaining in the regular season, while Detroit has five and Dallas has six.
Trying to catch either team for ROWs will be extremely difficult — so, the Jackets know they have to beat the Wings and Stars on points.
“Obviously, nobody knew we were going to be in this spot a few years ago,” winger Jared Boll told the Dispatch. “We have to be a point better than everybody else.
“That’s just the way it goes.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 23
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 76
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (74)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)