Apr 18, 2013, 1:17 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs have been badly outplayed in their last two games. They were fortunate to lose just one of them.
Even with a spot in the playoffs pretty much assured, Leafs coach Randy Carlyle knows his team needs to be better, starting tonight at home to the Islanders.
“We need to play a better brand of hockey than we did in the last six periods,” said Carlyle, per the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle.
“Or we’re not going anywhere.”
On Monday, the Leafs managed to beat a “cursed” Devils team, 2-0, despite being out-shot 31-13. (It was the second time this season that Toronto had won a game with 13 shots.)
But Tuesday in Washington, the Leafs’ luck ran out. The Capitals smoked them, 5-1.
Toronto can clinch its first playoff appearance since 2004 with a win over the Isles combined with a regulation loss by the Jets against Carolina.
The Leafs are likely to play either Boston or Montreal in the first round.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)