Caps’ Backstrom leaves game after being struck by Green shot

Apr 18, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT

Nicklas Backstrom Getty Images

Washington’s 3-1 loss to Ottawa tonight may have been more destructive than just hurting their hold on the Southeast Division.

Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom did not take a shift from the mid-point of the third period on and the team announced he would not return to the game with an upper body injury. On his last shift of the game, he was struck in the arm by a shot from teammate Mike Green.

After the game, Caps coach Adam Oates said they would reevaluate Backstrom on Friday, meanwhile Green says he hopes Backstrom is all right.

“It caught him in the arm. He’s alright but definitely gave him a bruise so I hope everything’s ok,” Green said.

If Backstrom is hurt more seriously than is being let on, it’s a huge blow. He’s been their top playmaker this season and is second only to Alex Ovechkin on the team in points. While Ovechkin’s done it with goals, Backstrom is all about the assists with 38 of his 44 points coming on helpers.

1. ludacrish05 - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I hope it’s nothing serious…

2. operwapitsai - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

as soon as I saw ovi out there without backy….. I knew it was over

3. mp1113 - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Please god be nothing serious.

4. hockeywithdrawal - Apr 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM

hope he’s ok – hate to see someone of his caliber go down so close to playoffs. I got the impression from a number of “Ovi for MVP” fans yesterday that this shouldn’t matter, though! All they need is Ovi, with him they win, without him they don’t….guess we’ll see.

• wabakimi - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I agree. I’m a Caps fan who sees too much of that view every day. It’s all about Ovechkin all the time, both by the media and among some fans. I think those fans need more education about the different roles played by crucial members of a hockey team.

5. rsl22 - Apr 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Sens looked pretty damn good last night. Do not want to play them in first round.

Hope Backis gets healthy soon, Caps need him.

• jpelle82 - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

sens have anderson back, enough said about them. caps needed more shots last night, they looked deflated a bit. the pp let them down too. need to bring it on sat night in the bell centre for hockey night in canada…big stage, big game before facing winnepeg which then could be the biggest game of the year.

6. watermelon1 - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM

As if I wasn’t ready for the Caps to get rid of Green already… He starts taking out their best players now?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches