Apr 18, 2013, 10:40 PM EST
Washington’s 3-1 loss to Ottawa tonight may have been more destructive than just hurting their hold on the Southeast Division.
Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom did not take a shift from the mid-point of the third period on and the team announced he would not return to the game with an upper body injury. On his last shift of the game, he was struck in the arm by a shot from teammate Mike Green.
“It caught him in the arm. He’s alright but definitely gave him a bruise so I hope everything’s ok,” Green said.
If Backstrom is hurt more seriously than is being let on, it’s a huge blow. He’s been their top playmaker this season and is second only to Alex Ovechkin on the team in points. While Ovechkin’s done it with goals, Backstrom is all about the assists with 38 of his 44 points coming on helpers.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 13
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 30
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)