Apr 18, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Washington’s 3-1 loss to Ottawa tonight may have been more destructive than just hurting their hold on the Southeast Division.
Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom did not take a shift from the mid-point of the third period on and the team announced he would not return to the game with an upper body injury. On his last shift of the game, he was struck in the arm by a shot from teammate Mike Green.
“It caught him in the arm. He’s alright but definitely gave him a bruise so I hope everything’s ok,” Green said.
If Backstrom is hurt more seriously than is being let on, it’s a huge blow. He’s been their top playmaker this season and is second only to Alex Ovechkin on the team in points. While Ovechkin’s done it with goals, Backstrom is all about the assists with 38 of his 44 points coming on helpers.
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 1
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 1
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)