Apr 18, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Washington’s 3-1 loss to Ottawa tonight may have been more destructive than just hurting their hold on the Southeast Division.
Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom did not take a shift from the mid-point of the third period on and the team announced he would not return to the game with an upper body injury. On his last shift of the game, he was struck in the arm by a shot from teammate Mike Green.
“It caught him in the arm. He’s alright but definitely gave him a bruise so I hope everything’s ok,” Green said.
If Backstrom is hurt more seriously than is being let on, it’s a huge blow. He’s been their top playmaker this season and is second only to Alex Ovechkin on the team in points. While Ovechkin’s done it with goals, Backstrom is all about the assists with 38 of his 44 points coming on helpers.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 0
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 17
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)