Apr 18, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
Hurricanes fans can breathe a sigh of relief over young star Jeff Skinner.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford spoke with the press before tonight’s game against Winnipeg and gave a quick update on Skinner’s health following a monster open ice hit he took from Ottawa’s Jared Cowen. Chip Alexander of News & Observer has the story.
Rutherford said before the Thursday game against Winnipeg that all the medical tests on Skinner have been completed and that he received the reports, saying, “Jeff was not concussed. He’s fine.”
Skinner has a brief history of concussions in his NHL career missing a fair amount of time last season dealing with one. The Canes are virtually out of the playoff race as they’re 10 points behind the Rangers for eighth with just six games to play.
If Skinner was concussed, it would make for a good debate as to whether to let him come back or not. Since he’s not, they’re hoping to have him back in action this weekend when they face the Flyers and Lightning.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35