Apr 18, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
Hurricanes fans can breathe a sigh of relief over young star Jeff Skinner.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford spoke with the press before tonight’s game against Winnipeg and gave a quick update on Skinner’s health following a monster open ice hit he took from Ottawa’s Jared Cowen. Chip Alexander of News & Observer has the story.
Rutherford said before the Thursday game against Winnipeg that all the medical tests on Skinner have been completed and that he received the reports, saying, “Jeff was not concussed. He’s fine.”
Skinner has a brief history of concussions in his NHL career missing a fair amount of time last season dealing with one. The Canes are virtually out of the playoff race as they’re 10 points behind the Rangers for eighth with just six games to play.
If Skinner was concussed, it would make for a good debate as to whether to let him come back or not. Since he’s not, they’re hoping to have him back in action this weekend when they face the Flyers and Lightning.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 4
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 16
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29