Apr 18, 2013, 2:52 PM EDT
The future of Boston’s goaltending is very bright.
On Thursday, 23-year-old Providence goalie Niklas Svedberg captured the Baz Bastien Trophy as the AHL’s best netminder.
Svedberg — who the Bruins signed as a undrafted free agent last year — went an impressive 36-8-2 this year with a 2.15 GAA and .925 save percentage.
His 36 wins rank second in the league this season, and are the second-most by a rookie in the 77-year history of the AHL.
Svedberg spent last season with Brynas of the Swedish Elite League before jumping to North America. In his first American League campaign, he was named to the All-Rookie and First All-Star teams and became the first rookie to win the top goalie trophy since Jim Carey did it in 1994-95.
As mentioned above, Svedberg is just one of the talented young netminders within the Boston organization.
Backup Anton Khudobin, also 26, is having a fine year too. He’s appeared in a career-high 13 games, posting an 8-3-1 record with a .925 save percentage and 2.20 GAA.
Oh, don’t forget about Malcolm Subban, 19, the Bruins’ first-round selection (24th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. He was the second goalie off the board, represented Team Canada at the World Juniors and recently captured OHL Playoff Player of the Week.
All of this begs the question — what will the Bruins do with these guys?
Rask is a RFA after this year, Khudobin a UFA. Svedberg is on the books until 2014 (at $1 million per season) and Subban’s inked a three-year entry level deal (also, GM Peter Chiarelli’s already said he’s not going to trade Subban.)
It’ll be interesting to see how Boston plays it this summer.
One thing’s for certain — it’s a good problem to have.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)