Apr 18, 2013, 2:52 PM EDT
The future of Boston’s goaltending is very bright.
On Thursday, 23-year-old Providence goalie Niklas Svedberg captured the Baz Bastien Trophy as the AHL’s best netminder.
Svedberg — who the Bruins signed as a undrafted free agent last year — went an impressive 36-8-2 this year with a 2.15 GAA and .925 save percentage.
His 36 wins rank second in the league this season, and are the second-most by a rookie in the 77-year history of the AHL.
Svedberg spent last season with Brynas of the Swedish Elite League before jumping to North America. In his first American League campaign, he was named to the All-Rookie and First All-Star teams and became the first rookie to win the top goalie trophy since Jim Carey did it in 1994-95.
As mentioned above, Svedberg is just one of the talented young netminders within the Boston organization.
Backup Anton Khudobin, also 26, is having a fine year too. He’s appeared in a career-high 13 games, posting an 8-3-1 record with a .925 save percentage and 2.20 GAA.
Oh, don’t forget about Malcolm Subban, 19, the Bruins’ first-round selection (24th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. He was the second goalie off the board, represented Team Canada at the World Juniors and recently captured OHL Playoff Player of the Week.
All of this begs the question — what will the Bruins do with these guys?
Rask is a RFA after this year, Khudobin a UFA. Svedberg is on the books until 2014 (at $1 million per season) and Subban’s inked a three-year entry level deal (also, GM Peter Chiarelli’s already said he’s not going to trade Subban.)
It’ll be interesting to see how Boston plays it this summer.
One thing’s for certain — it’s a good problem to have.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
That’s a picture of Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)