Apr 18, 2013, 2:52 PM EDT
The future of Boston’s goaltending is very bright.
On Thursday, 23-year-old Providence goalie Niklas Svedberg captured the Baz Bastien Trophy as the AHL’s best netminder.
Svedberg — who the Bruins signed as a undrafted free agent last year — went an impressive 36-8-2 this year with a 2.15 GAA and .925 save percentage.
His 36 wins rank second in the league this season, and are the second-most by a rookie in the 77-year history of the AHL.
Svedberg spent last season with Brynas of the Swedish Elite League before jumping to North America. In his first American League campaign, he was named to the All-Rookie and First All-Star teams and became the first rookie to win the top goalie trophy since Jim Carey did it in 1994-95.
As mentioned above, Svedberg is just one of the talented young netminders within the Boston organization.
Backup Anton Khudobin, also 26, is having a fine year too. He’s appeared in a career-high 13 games, posting an 8-3-1 record with a .925 save percentage and 2.20 GAA.
Oh, don’t forget about Malcolm Subban, 19, the Bruins’ first-round selection (24th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. He was the second goalie off the board, represented Team Canada at the World Juniors and recently captured OHL Playoff Player of the Week.
All of this begs the question — what will the Bruins do with these guys?
Rask is a RFA after this year, Khudobin a UFA. Svedberg is on the books until 2014 (at $1 million per season) and Subban’s inked a three-year entry level deal (also, GM Peter Chiarelli’s already said he’s not going to trade Subban.)
It’ll be interesting to see how Boston plays it this summer.
One thing’s for certain — it’s a good problem to have.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)