Apr 17, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators will miss the playoffs for the first time since 2009 and only the second time in the last nine years.
As a result, longtime Preds coach Barry Trotz knows changes will be coming.
“Obviously (general manager) David (Poile) has a gameplan,” said Trotz, per The Tennessean. “It’s probably inappropriate for me to comment on it, but I know we’re going to have to have a very busy summer and make sure we fill holes. I know he has a gameplan for that. When he wants to divulge that gameplan, we’ll unleash him on you I guess.”
There’s no question losing defenseman Ryan Suter to free agency hurt the Preds. Suter is a Norris Trophy candidate in Minnesota.
But one key player’s absence doesn’t fully explain how Nashville has fallen to last in goals per game (2.23) and 18th in goals against (2.66).
“Losing [Suter] is obviously going to affect the team, I don’t think it’s the reason we didn’t make the playoffs,” captain Shea Weber said, per ESPN.com. “He’s obviously a very good player and he’s done well this year. But I think there’s obviously a lot of other reasons you can attribute to why we’re sitting on the outside looking in.”
Injuries is one reason. The Preds have had their fair share.
Pekka Rinne‘s numbers have fallen as well. In 2011-12, he finished with a save percentage of .923. This year, it’s .914 — still pretty good, but not great.
But as in the past, the Preds’ biggest issue is simple: there isn’t enough talent on the roster. David Legwand is tied for the team lead in scoring…with 23 points in 44 games.
How Poile addresses that issue, we’ll have to wait and see. It won’t be easy given the club’s budget constraints.
But Preds fans know all about that by now.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 14
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 29
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 26
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 20
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6