Apr 17, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
The Nashville Predators will miss the playoffs for the first time since 2009 and only the second time in the last nine years.
As a result, longtime Preds coach Barry Trotz knows changes will be coming.
“Obviously (general manager) David (Poile) has a gameplan,” said Trotz, per The Tennessean. “It’s probably inappropriate for me to comment on it, but I know we’re going to have to have a very busy summer and make sure we fill holes. I know he has a gameplan for that. When he wants to divulge that gameplan, we’ll unleash him on you I guess.”
There’s no question losing defenseman Ryan Suter to free agency hurt the Preds. Suter is a Norris Trophy candidate in Minnesota.
But one key player’s absence doesn’t fully explain how Nashville has fallen to last in goals per game (2.23) and 18th in goals against (2.66).
“Losing [Suter] is obviously going to affect the team, I don’t think it’s the reason we didn’t make the playoffs,” captain Shea Weber said, per ESPN.com. “He’s obviously a very good player and he’s done well this year. But I think there’s obviously a lot of other reasons you can attribute to why we’re sitting on the outside looking in.”
Injuries is one reason. The Preds have had their fair share.
Pekka Rinne‘s numbers have fallen as well. In 2011-12, he finished with a save percentage of .923. This year, it’s .914 — still pretty good, but not great.
But as in the past, the Preds’ biggest issue is simple: there isn’t enough talent on the roster. David Legwand is tied for the team lead in scoring…with 23 points in 44 games.
How Poile addresses that issue, we’ll have to wait and see. It won’t be easy given the club’s budget constraints.
But Preds fans know all about that by now.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)