Apr 17, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the Carolina Hurricanes announced they’ve returned Jeff Skinner to Raleigh for further examination after he took a massive hit from Sens defenseman Jared Cowen in Ottawa on Tuesday.
Here’s the incident in question:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The ‘Canes are currently on a mini two-game trip through Ottawa and Winnipeg, before returning home on Saturday to play Philadelphia.
So, Skinner will presumably miss Thursday’s game against the Jets, and it wouldn’t be surprising if he was held out against the Flyers — and beyond.
The 20-year-old has suffered concussions in each of the past two seasons, missing 16 games last year and five games this year.
As for the hit that did the damage, Carolina head coach Kirk Muller and enforcer Kevin Westgarth — who fought Cowen later in the game — clearly weren’t pleased.
“I think you’ve got a big guy coming down on a shorter guy and you catch him high, in the upper body,” Muller told the Raleigh News and Observer. “It’s a tough one there, a tough one to call.”
“It’s terrible to see when a guy gets hit like that,” Westgarth added. “It’s not going to be accepted by anybody on our team.”
According to Chip Alexander of the News and Observer, ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said he didn’t think Cowen intended to injure Skinner, and that the hit “is classified as a legal hit in our sport.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)