Apr 17, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
The New York Rangers made the playoff race a lot more interesting with last night’s 4-2 loss in Philadelphia. Add Winnipeg’s shootout win over Tampa Bay and the Islanders’ 5-2 destruction of Florida, and here’s how the standings look in the Eastern Conference:
The Isles have five games remaining, all of them on the road — @ Toronto, @ Winnipeg, @ Carolina, @ Philadelphia, @ Buffalo.
The Rangers have a slightly easier slate — Florida, @ Buffalo, New Jersey, @ Florida, @ Carolina, New Jersey.
And here’s what the Jets are facing — Carolina, Islanders, @ Buffalo, @ Washington, Montreal.
Winnipeg could also still catch Washington for the Southeast Division title, though that seems unlikely the way the Caps have been playing.
Saturday’s game at the MTS Centre between the Jets and Isles looms large.
Also interesting to watch will be how all those non-playoff teams perform in a potential spoiler role. For example, we imagine the Devils wouldn’t mind being responsible for the Rangers missing the postseason.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)