Apr 17, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
The New York Rangers made the playoff race a lot more interesting with last night’s 4-2 loss in Philadelphia. Add Winnipeg’s shootout win over Tampa Bay and the Islanders’ 5-2 destruction of Florida, and here’s how the standings look in the Eastern Conference:
The Isles have five games remaining, all of them on the road — @ Toronto, @ Winnipeg, @ Carolina, @ Philadelphia, @ Buffalo.
The Rangers have a slightly easier slate — Florida, @ Buffalo, New Jersey, @ Florida, @ Carolina, New Jersey.
And here’s what the Jets are facing — Carolina, Islanders, @ Buffalo, @ Washington, Montreal.
Winnipeg could also still catch Washington for the Southeast Division title, though that seems unlikely the way the Caps have been playing.
Saturday’s game at the MTS Centre between the Jets and Isles looms large.
Also interesting to watch will be how all those non-playoff teams perform in a potential spoiler role. For example, we imagine the Devils wouldn’t mind being responsible for the Rangers missing the postseason.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)