Apr 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The accolades keep pouring in for Justin Schultz.
On Wednesday, Schultz won the Eddie Shore award as the AHL’s best defenseman, the first time in trophy’s 55-year history that a rookie has captured the honors.
Here’s word from the Oilers press release:
His impact with the Oilers’ AHL affiliate was immediate. He played in 34 games with the Barons and scored 48 points (18G, 30A).
That included a franchise record tying 10 game point scoring streak and a separate nine game point streak.
Despite not playing in Oklahoma City since January 5th, Schultz’ 48 points, 18 goals and 19.6 percent shooting percentage is still tops among AHL defenceman.
Schultz did much of his scoring for the Barons on special teams. Of his 48 points, 25 of them (7G, 18A) came with the man advantage.
Heading into the Barons last weekend of the season, Schultz’ 25 power play points still leads the team.
This is the third AHL award the 22-year-old rearguard has captured in recent weeks. Schultz was also named to the AHL’s All-Rookie and First All-Star teams.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 9
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)