Apr 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The accolades keep pouring in for Justin Schultz.
On Wednesday, Schultz won the Eddie Shore award as the AHL’s best defenseman, the first time in trophy’s 55-year history that a rookie has captured the honors.
Here’s word from the Oilers press release:
His impact with the Oilers’ AHL affiliate was immediate. He played in 34 games with the Barons and scored 48 points (18G, 30A).
That included a franchise record tying 10 game point scoring streak and a separate nine game point streak.
Despite not playing in Oklahoma City since January 5th, Schultz’ 48 points, 18 goals and 19.6 percent shooting percentage is still tops among AHL defenceman.
Schultz did much of his scoring for the Barons on special teams. Of his 48 points, 25 of them (7G, 18A) came with the man advantage.
Heading into the Barons last weekend of the season, Schultz’ 25 power play points still leads the team.
This is the third AHL award the 22-year-old rearguard has captured in recent weeks. Schultz was also named to the AHL’s All-Rookie and First All-Star teams.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)