Apr 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The accolades keep pouring in for Justin Schultz.
On Wednesday, Schultz won the Eddie Shore award as the AHL’s best defenseman, the first time in trophy’s 55-year history that a rookie has captured the honors.
Here’s word from the Oilers press release:
His impact with the Oilers’ AHL affiliate was immediate. He played in 34 games with the Barons and scored 48 points (18G, 30A).
That included a franchise record tying 10 game point scoring streak and a separate nine game point streak.
Despite not playing in Oklahoma City since January 5th, Schultz’ 48 points, 18 goals and 19.6 percent shooting percentage is still tops among AHL defenceman.
Schultz did much of his scoring for the Barons on special teams. Of his 48 points, 25 of them (7G, 18A) came with the man advantage.
Heading into the Barons last weekend of the season, Schultz’ 25 power play points still leads the team.
This is the third AHL award the 22-year-old rearguard has captured in recent weeks. Schultz was also named to the AHL’s All-Rookie and First All-Star teams.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)