Apr 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
The accolades keep pouring in for Justin Schultz.
On Wednesday, Schultz won the Eddie Shore award as the AHL’s best defenseman, the first time in trophy’s 55-year history that a rookie has captured the honors.
Here’s word from the Oilers press release:
His impact with the Oilers’ AHL affiliate was immediate. He played in 34 games with the Barons and scored 48 points (18G, 30A).
That included a franchise record tying 10 game point scoring streak and a separate nine game point streak.
Despite not playing in Oklahoma City since January 5th, Schultz’ 48 points, 18 goals and 19.6 percent shooting percentage is still tops among AHL defenceman.
Schultz did much of his scoring for the Barons on special teams. Of his 48 points, 25 of them (7G, 18A) came with the man advantage.
Heading into the Barons last weekend of the season, Schultz’ 25 power play points still leads the team.
This is the third AHL award the 22-year-old rearguard has captured in recent weeks. Schultz was also named to the AHL’s All-Rookie and First All-Star teams.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 69
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)