Apr 17, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Oilers president of hockey operation Kevin Lowe admits that his emotions “ran a little high” at Monday’s press conference introducing Craig MacTavish as Edmonton’s new general manager.
Tuesday evening, Lowe offered an apology to Oilers fans he may have offended when he seemed to suggest ticket-buyers were more important than those who didn’t contribute as directly to the club’s bottom line.
Per the Edmonton Journal, his exact words on Monday were: “We have two types of fans. We have paying customers, and we have people that watch the game that we still care about. But certainly the people who go to the games and support, we spend a lot of time talking to them, delivering our message.”
Which led to the following clarification, made by video and posted to the club’s website: “We appreciate each and every fan. I did not make that clear yesterday. And if I offended anyone, I apologize.”
Of course, Lowe’s remark about “paying customers” wasn’t even the most memorable sound bite of a very memorable press conference.
That would probably be this: “I’ll say that there’s one other guy in hockey today that is still working in the game that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern.”
The above was made after a reporter noted it’s been seven years since the Oilers made it to the Stanley Cup finals.
That was also the last time the team made the playoffs.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 12
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 15
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 35
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)