Apr 17, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Oilers president of hockey operation Kevin Lowe admits that his emotions “ran a little high” at Monday’s press conference introducing Craig MacTavish as Edmonton’s new general manager.
Tuesday evening, Lowe offered an apology to Oilers fans he may have offended when he seemed to suggest ticket-buyers were more important than those who didn’t contribute as directly to the club’s bottom line.
Per the Edmonton Journal, his exact words on Monday were: “We have two types of fans. We have paying customers, and we have people that watch the game that we still care about. But certainly the people who go to the games and support, we spend a lot of time talking to them, delivering our message.”
Which led to the following clarification, made by video and posted to the club’s website: “We appreciate each and every fan. I did not make that clear yesterday. And if I offended anyone, I apologize.”
Of course, Lowe’s remark about “paying customers” wasn’t even the most memorable sound bite of a very memorable press conference.
That would probably be this: “I’ll say that there’s one other guy in hockey today that is still working in the game that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern.”
The above was made after a reporter noted it’s been seven years since the Oilers made it to the Stanley Cup finals.
That was also the last time the team made the playoffs.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)