Apr 17, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Oilers president of hockey operation Kevin Lowe admits that his emotions “ran a little high” at Monday’s press conference introducing Craig MacTavish as Edmonton’s new general manager.
Tuesday evening, Lowe offered an apology to Oilers fans he may have offended when he seemed to suggest ticket-buyers were more important than those who didn’t contribute as directly to the club’s bottom line.
Per the Edmonton Journal, his exact words on Monday were: “We have two types of fans. We have paying customers, and we have people that watch the game that we still care about. But certainly the people who go to the games and support, we spend a lot of time talking to them, delivering our message.”
Which led to the following clarification, made by video and posted to the club’s website: “We appreciate each and every fan. I did not make that clear yesterday. And if I offended anyone, I apologize.”
Of course, Lowe’s remark about “paying customers” wasn’t even the most memorable sound bite of a very memorable press conference.
That would probably be this: “I’ll say that there’s one other guy in hockey today that is still working in the game that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern.”
The above was made after a reporter noted it’s been seven years since the Oilers made it to the Stanley Cup finals.
That was also the last time the team made the playoffs.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)