Apr 17, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames agreed to terms with Swiss goalie Reto Berra on a one-year, $765,000 deal that could reach $1.3 million with bonuses, the club announced on Wednesday.
Berra, 26, has spent his entire pro career in Switzerland’s National League A after being selected by the Blues in the fourth round (106th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
The 6-foot-4, 200-pound netminder was acquired by Calgary, along with defenseman Mark Cundari and a 2013 first-round pick, from St. Louis in exchange for defenseman Jay Bouwmeester on Apr. 1.
It should be noted Berra wasn’t simply a throw-in to the Bouwmeester deal. Flames GM Jay Feaster said the club had been targeting him for a while.
“We made a mental note when we got the rights to Karri Ramo, if we ever had the opportunity to pick up Reto Berra’s rights, we would do it,” Feaster told the Flames website. “He happens to be represented by the same agent that represents Sven Baertschi and he’s playing in Switzerland so Bob [Hartley] was familiar with him as well.
“We’ve had our eye on him for well over a year now.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 51
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 52
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 160
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (161)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)