Apr 17, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames agreed to terms with Swiss goalie Reto Berra on a one-year, $765,000 deal that could reach $1.3 million with bonuses, the club announced on Wednesday.
Berra, 26, has spent his entire pro career in Switzerland’s National League A after being selected by the Blues in the fourth round (106th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
The 6-foot-4, 200-pound netminder was acquired by Calgary, along with defenseman Mark Cundari and a 2013 first-round pick, from St. Louis in exchange for defenseman Jay Bouwmeester on Apr. 1.
It should be noted Berra wasn’t simply a throw-in to the Bouwmeester deal. Flames GM Jay Feaster said the club had been targeting him for a while.
“We made a mental note when we got the rights to Karri Ramo, if we ever had the opportunity to pick up Reto Berra’s rights, we would do it,” Feaster told the Flames website. “He happens to be represented by the same agent that represents Sven Baertschi and he’s playing in Switzerland so Bob [Hartley] was familiar with him as well.
“We’ve had our eye on him for well over a year now.”
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)