Apr 17, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames agreed to terms with Swiss goalie Reto Berra on a one-year, $765,000 deal that could reach $1.3 million with bonuses, the club announced on Wednesday.
Berra, 26, has spent his entire pro career in Switzerland’s National League A after being selected by the Blues in the fourth round (106th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
The 6-foot-4, 200-pound netminder was acquired by Calgary, along with defenseman Mark Cundari and a 2013 first-round pick, from St. Louis in exchange for defenseman Jay Bouwmeester on Apr. 1.
It should be noted Berra wasn’t simply a throw-in to the Bouwmeester deal. Flames GM Jay Feaster said the club had been targeting him for a while.
“We made a mental note when we got the rights to Karri Ramo, if we ever had the opportunity to pick up Reto Berra’s rights, we would do it,” Feaster told the Flames website. “He happens to be represented by the same agent that represents Sven Baertschi and he’s playing in Switzerland so Bob [Hartley] was familiar with him as well.
“We’ve had our eye on him for well over a year now.”
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 49
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 34
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)