Apr 17, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames agreed to terms with Swiss goalie Reto Berra on a one-year, $765,000 deal that could reach $1.3 million with bonuses, the club announced on Wednesday.
Berra, 26, has spent his entire pro career in Switzerland’s National League A after being selected by the Blues in the fourth round (106th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
The 6-foot-4, 200-pound netminder was acquired by Calgary, along with defenseman Mark Cundari and a 2013 first-round pick, from St. Louis in exchange for defenseman Jay Bouwmeester on Apr. 1.
It should be noted Berra wasn’t simply a throw-in to the Bouwmeester deal. Flames GM Jay Feaster said the club had been targeting him for a while.
“We made a mental note when we got the rights to Karri Ramo, if we ever had the opportunity to pick up Reto Berra’s rights, we would do it,” Feaster told the Flames website. “He happens to be represented by the same agent that represents Sven Baertschi and he’s playing in Switzerland so Bob [Hartley] was familiar with him as well.
“We’ve had our eye on him for well over a year now.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)