Apr 17, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
The Dallas Stars will have their No. 1 netminder back for the postseason chase.
Kari Lehtonen, forced from an Apr. 9 win over Los Angeles with a groin injury that saw him miss the last three games, will be back in goal Thursday when the Stars take on Vancouver.
“It was good to get a little time off,” Lehtonen told the Dallas Morning News. “We have a few games left and I am even more excited now to play. We’re in a good spot and trying to climb into the playoffs.”
The Stars sit 10th in the West heading into Wednesday night’s action, two points back of eighth-place Detroit (47 points) for the final playoff spot.
They’re also two points back of Columbus, but have a game in hand.
If the end-of-season schedule suggests anything, it’s that all three teams will get to decide their fates against each other.
Dallas will play Columbus in its second-to-last game of the year before closing out the season against Detroit on Apr. 27 — but the Stars have a tough hill to climb prior to those games.
On Thursday, they face the Northwest Division-leading Canucks before heading out on a three-game roadie through St. Louis, Los Angeles and San Jose.
No surprise the club is thrilled to get its No. 1 netminder back in action.
“He’s an elite talent, a competitive guy, he has a strong desire to ‘part the seas,’ so to speak,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan said of Lehtonen. “He wants to make sure he gets this thing done.
“His health has improved dramatically in the last three days, and I know he has the ability to take this team where it needs to go.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)