Apr 17, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars will have their No. 1 netminder back for the postseason chase.
Kari Lehtonen, forced from an Apr. 9 win over Los Angeles with a groin injury that saw him miss the last three games, will be back in goal Thursday when the Stars take on Vancouver.
“It was good to get a little time off,” Lehtonen told the Dallas Morning News. “We have a few games left and I am even more excited now to play. We’re in a good spot and trying to climb into the playoffs.”
The Stars sit 10th in the West heading into Wednesday night’s action, two points back of eighth-place Detroit (47 points) for the final playoff spot.
They’re also two points back of Columbus, but have a game in hand.
If the end-of-season schedule suggests anything, it’s that all three teams will get to decide their fates against each other.
Dallas will play Columbus in its second-to-last game of the year before closing out the season against Detroit on Apr. 27 — but the Stars have a tough hill to climb prior to those games.
On Thursday, they face the Northwest Division-leading Canucks before heading out on a three-game roadie through St. Louis, Los Angeles and San Jose.
No surprise the club is thrilled to get its No. 1 netminder back in action.
“He’s an elite talent, a competitive guy, he has a strong desire to ‘part the seas,’ so to speak,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan said of Lehtonen. “He wants to make sure he gets this thing done.
“His health has improved dramatically in the last three days, and I know he has the ability to take this team where it needs to go.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)