Apr 17, 2013, 9:25 AM EDT
With a torrid scoring run, a skyrocketing Washington Capitals team and the NHL goal scoring lead in tow, Alex Ovechkin is making a serious Hart Trophy argument.
Caps head coach Adam Oates told the Washington Times that Ovechkin would get his vote – if he had one.
“I’m obviously very biased about that, so my answer would be yeah, absolutely,” Oates said. “Obviously Sidney Crosby is another candidate, for sure. He had such a scoring lead, but I think you’ve got to factor in the fact he’s missed a lot of games.”
“That’s not for me to say though, it’s you guys.”
(Naturally, fans of teams other than the Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins will probably take this time to mention other noteworthy candidates.)
If the league handed out some kind of trophy that covered merely the months of March and April combined, it would be tough to argue against the Capitals’ 27-year-old captain. In that time, Ovechkin has managed 33 points in 24 games.
Naturally, the Hart Trophy voting covers the entire 48-game season, so there will be plenty of interesting arguments involving Crosby, Ovechkin and a slew of other stars. Depending on the team, there are also four-to-seven more games to change some votes.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)