Apr 17, 2013, 9:25 AM EDT
With a torrid scoring run, a skyrocketing Washington Capitals team and the NHL goal scoring lead in tow, Alex Ovechkin is making a serious Hart Trophy argument.
Caps head coach Adam Oates told the Washington Times that Ovechkin would get his vote – if he had one.
“I’m obviously very biased about that, so my answer would be yeah, absolutely,” Oates said. “Obviously Sidney Crosby is another candidate, for sure. He had such a scoring lead, but I think you’ve got to factor in the fact he’s missed a lot of games.”
“That’s not for me to say though, it’s you guys.”
(Naturally, fans of teams other than the Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins will probably take this time to mention other noteworthy candidates.)
If the league handed out some kind of trophy that covered merely the months of March and April combined, it would be tough to argue against the Capitals’ 27-year-old captain. In that time, Ovechkin has managed 33 points in 24 games.
Naturally, the Hart Trophy voting covers the entire 48-game season, so there will be plenty of interesting arguments involving Crosby, Ovechkin and a slew of other stars. Depending on the team, there are also four-to-seven more games to change some votes.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)