Apr 17, 2013, 9:25 AM EST
With a torrid scoring run, a skyrocketing Washington Capitals team and the NHL goal scoring lead in tow, Alex Ovechkin is making a serious Hart Trophy argument.
Caps head coach Adam Oates told the Washington Times that Ovechkin would get his vote – if he had one.
“I’m obviously very biased about that, so my answer would be yeah, absolutely,” Oates said. “Obviously Sidney Crosby is another candidate, for sure. He had such a scoring lead, but I think you’ve got to factor in the fact he’s missed a lot of games.”
“That’s not for me to say though, it’s you guys.”
(Naturally, fans of teams other than the Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins will probably take this time to mention other noteworthy candidates.)
If the league handed out some kind of trophy that covered merely the months of March and April combined, it would be tough to argue against the Capitals’ 27-year-old captain. In that time, Ovechkin has managed 33 points in 24 games.
Naturally, the Hart Trophy voting covers the entire 48-game season, so there will be plenty of interesting arguments involving Crosby, Ovechkin and a slew of other stars. Depending on the team, there are also four-to-seven more games to change some votes.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)