Apr 17, 2013, 9:25 AM EST
With a torrid scoring run, a skyrocketing Washington Capitals team and the NHL goal scoring lead in tow, Alex Ovechkin is making a serious Hart Trophy argument.
Caps head coach Adam Oates told the Washington Times that Ovechkin would get his vote – if he had one.
“I’m obviously very biased about that, so my answer would be yeah, absolutely,” Oates said. “Obviously Sidney Crosby is another candidate, for sure. He had such a scoring lead, but I think you’ve got to factor in the fact he’s missed a lot of games.”
“That’s not for me to say though, it’s you guys.”
(Naturally, fans of teams other than the Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins will probably take this time to mention other noteworthy candidates.)
If the league handed out some kind of trophy that covered merely the months of March and April combined, it would be tough to argue against the Capitals’ 27-year-old captain. In that time, Ovechkin has managed 33 points in 24 games.
Naturally, the Hart Trophy voting covers the entire 48-game season, so there will be plenty of interesting arguments involving Crosby, Ovechkin and a slew of other stars. Depending on the team, there are also four-to-seven more games to change some votes.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 4
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)