Apr 16, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs and Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t have a lot of people outside of their respective cities predicting that either one would make the playoffs in 2013, but the Maple Leafs almost certainly will and Columbus has a real shot of advancing.
What’s changed? Their goaltending. 24-year-old Sergei Bobrovsky has carried the Blue Jackets into the playoff hunt while Reimer, 25, has bounced back nicely from a rough sophomore campaign that was derailed in part due to a concussion.
Both netminders made some huge saves on Monday. Reimer earned a 32-save shutout that included this gem when the game was still tied midway through the third period:
Mere minutes later Phil Kessel finally broke through the New Jersey Devils’ defenses en route to a 2-0 victory.
Bobrovsky wasn’t flawless last night, but he came up with a big save when the Blue Jackets needed him the most. You can see him beating Colorado Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog on an overtime breakaway below:
Nick Foligno went on to net the deciding goal in the dying seconds of the overtime period.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)