Apr 16, 2013, 9:56 AM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs and Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t have a lot of people outside of their respective cities predicting that either one would make the playoffs in 2013, but the Maple Leafs almost certainly will and Columbus has a real shot of advancing.
What’s changed? Their goaltending. 24-year-old Sergei Bobrovsky has carried the Blue Jackets into the playoff hunt while Reimer, 25, has bounced back nicely from a rough sophomore campaign that was derailed in part due to a concussion.
Both netminders made some huge saves on Monday. Reimer earned a 32-save shutout that included this gem when the game was still tied midway through the third period:
Mere minutes later Phil Kessel finally broke through the New Jersey Devils’ defenses en route to a 2-0 victory.
Bobrovsky wasn’t flawless last night, but he came up with a big save when the Blue Jackets needed him the most. You can see him beating Colorado Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog on an overtime breakaway below:
Nick Foligno went on to net the deciding goal in the dying seconds of the overtime period.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 11
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (55)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)