Apr 16, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs and Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t have a lot of people outside of their respective cities predicting that either one would make the playoffs in 2013, but the Maple Leafs almost certainly will and Columbus has a real shot of advancing.
What’s changed? Their goaltending. 24-year-old Sergei Bobrovsky has carried the Blue Jackets into the playoff hunt while Reimer, 25, has bounced back nicely from a rough sophomore campaign that was derailed in part due to a concussion.
Both netminders made some huge saves on Monday. Reimer earned a 32-save shutout that included this gem when the game was still tied midway through the third period:
Mere minutes later Phil Kessel finally broke through the New Jersey Devils’ defenses en route to a 2-0 victory.
Bobrovsky wasn’t flawless last night, but he came up with a big save when the Blue Jackets needed him the most. You can see him beating Colorado Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog on an overtime breakaway below:
Nick Foligno went on to net the deciding goal in the dying seconds of the overtime period.
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 0
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 85
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 27
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)