Apr 16, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs and Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t have a lot of people outside of their respective cities predicting that either one would make the playoffs in 2013, but the Maple Leafs almost certainly will and Columbus has a real shot of advancing.
What’s changed? Their goaltending. 24-year-old Sergei Bobrovsky has carried the Blue Jackets into the playoff hunt while Reimer, 25, has bounced back nicely from a rough sophomore campaign that was derailed in part due to a concussion.
Both netminders made some huge saves on Monday. Reimer earned a 32-save shutout that included this gem when the game was still tied midway through the third period:
Mere minutes later Phil Kessel finally broke through the New Jersey Devils’ defenses en route to a 2-0 victory.
Bobrovsky wasn’t flawless last night, but he came up with a big save when the Blue Jackets needed him the most. You can see him beating Colorado Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog on an overtime breakaway below:
Nick Foligno went on to net the deciding goal in the dying seconds of the overtime period.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 46
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 34
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)