Apr 16, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
It’s no secret that Alex Ovechkin is on fire right now. He showed that he’s the Washington Capitals captain for reasons that extend beyond his slick scoring touch on Tuesday, as he stood up for linemate Nicklas Backstrom after Toronto Maple Leafs forward Jay McClement delivered this hit:
Ovechkin received a two-minute minor for charging on that play while Jason Chimera and McClement were given the five-minute fighting majors.
That scuffle must have given the Caps an even bigger boost against the Buds; they fattened their 1-0 lead to 4-0 (as of this writing) since then.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22