Apr 16, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
It’s no secret that Alex Ovechkin is on fire right now. He showed that he’s the Washington Capitals captain for reasons that extend beyond his slick scoring touch on Tuesday, as he stood up for linemate Nicklas Backstrom after Toronto Maple Leafs forward Jay McClement delivered this hit:
Ovechkin received a two-minute minor for charging on that play while Jason Chimera and McClement were given the five-minute fighting majors.
That scuffle must have given the Caps an even bigger boost against the Buds; they fattened their 1-0 lead to 4-0 (as of this writing) since then.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 24
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 46
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 51
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 29
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10