Apr 16, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
It’s no secret that Alex Ovechkin is on fire right now. He showed that he’s the Washington Capitals captain for reasons that extend beyond his slick scoring touch on Tuesday, as he stood up for linemate Nicklas Backstrom after Toronto Maple Leafs forward Jay McClement delivered this hit:
Ovechkin received a two-minute minor for charging on that play while Jason Chimera and McClement were given the five-minute fighting majors.
That scuffle must have given the Caps an even bigger boost against the Buds; they fattened their 1-0 lead to 4-0 (as of this writing) since then.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 4
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 17
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29