Apr 16, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
If the rumblings are correct, the NHL might hold as many as six outdoor games during the 2013-14 season.
TSN’s Darren Dreger notes during an “Insider Trading” segment that while things are subject to change, the league could trot out this array of high-profile contests if everything works out (all in 2014):
Jan. 1: 2014 Winter Classic – Toronto vs. Detroit at Michigan Stadium
Jan. 25: Anaheim vs. Los Angeles at Dodger Stadium
Jan. 26: New Jersey vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
Jan. 29: NY Islanders vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
March 1: Pittsburgh vs. Chicago at Soldier Field
March 2: 2014 Heritage Classic – Ottawa vs. Vancouver at BC Place
Dreger points out that the Rangers’ duo of outdoor games would mark an attempt to capitalize on a rare cold weather Super Bowl in 2014. The March games hold strategic potential, too, as they’ll be coming after the 2014 Olympics.
Again, he notes that there are some “wrinkles to iron out,” so don’t take this as an official announcement. Still, it’s a bold plan by the NHL.
It might be wise to load up on some quality winter garments.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 0
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 26
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 28
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)