Apr 16, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
If the rumblings are correct, the NHL might hold as many as six outdoor games during the 2013-14 season.
TSN’s Darren Dreger notes during an “Insider Trading” segment that while things are subject to change, the league could trot out this array of high-profile contests if everything works out (all in 2014):
Jan. 1: 2014 Winter Classic – Toronto vs. Detroit at Michigan Stadium
Jan. 25: Anaheim vs. Los Angeles at Dodger Stadium
Jan. 26: New Jersey vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
Jan. 29: NY Islanders vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
March 1: Pittsburgh vs. Chicago at Soldier Field
March 2: 2014 Heritage Classic – Ottawa vs. Vancouver at BC Place
Dreger points out that the Rangers’ duo of outdoor games would mark an attempt to capitalize on a rare cold weather Super Bowl in 2014. The March games hold strategic potential, too, as they’ll be coming after the 2014 Olympics.
Again, he notes that there are some “wrinkles to iron out,” so don’t take this as an official announcement. Still, it’s a bold plan by the NHL.
It might be wise to load up on some quality winter garments.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)