Apr 16, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT
Former Buffalo Sabres bench boss Lindy Ruff is in line to coach Team Canada at the 2013 IIHF World Championships, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Ruff, 53, was fired by the Sabres in February after getting off to a disappointing 6-10-1 start.
Prior to his dismissal, he was the NHL’s longest-serving coach (hired on July 21, 1997) and took Buffalo to four Eastern Conference finals and the 1999 Stanley Cup finals.
In 2006, he captured the Jack Adams trophy as the league’s best coach.
It’s not a surprise Hockey Canada appointed Ruff for the World Championships.
In 2010, he was part of the coaching staff that helped Canada win Olympic gold in Vancouver.
Ruff also led Team Canada to silver at the 2009 World Championships in Switzerland, and turned down an invite to coach the 2012 entry. (The ’12 gig eventually went to Brent Sutter, who was assisted by Carolina’s Kirk Muller and former Bolts coach Guy Boucher).
The 2013 Worlds will take place in Sweden and Finland from May 3-19. Canada, who finished fifth at the 2012 tournament, is in a group with the Czech Republic, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Denmark, Belarus and Slovenia.
The defending champion Russians are in a group with Finland, Slovakia, USA, Germany, Latvia, France and Austria.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)