Apr 16, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
It’s been a lousy season for big New York Rangers forward Brian Boyle, who left Tuesday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers with a lower-body injury and won’t return. The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross thinks that it’s a right leg issue.
The 28-year-old has already missed some time this season, but it was because his poor play prompted a few healthy scratches (that didn’t leave him very happy).
After scoring 21 goals and 35 points in his breakout 2010-11 season and playing reasonably well last season (26 points), Boyle has just five points and a -13 rating in 37 games in 2013.
The top-heavy Rangers could use Boyle’s large presence to fill out their lineup, but he’s been as invisible as a 6-foot-7 forward can be for much of this campaign. Now this injury might just force him out of the mix.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)