Apr 16, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
It’s been a lousy season for big New York Rangers forward Brian Boyle, who left Tuesday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers with a lower-body injury and won’t return. The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross thinks that it’s a right leg issue.
The 28-year-old has already missed some time this season, but it was because his poor play prompted a few healthy scratches (that didn’t leave him very happy).
After scoring 21 goals and 35 points in his breakout 2010-11 season and playing reasonably well last season (26 points), Boyle has just five points and a -13 rating in 37 games in 2013.
The top-heavy Rangers could use Boyle’s large presence to fill out their lineup, but he’s been as invisible as a 6-foot-7 forward can be for much of this campaign. Now this injury might just force him out of the mix.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)