Apr 16, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
It’s been a lousy season for big New York Rangers forward Brian Boyle, who left Tuesday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers with a lower-body injury and won’t return. The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross thinks that it’s a right leg issue.
The 28-year-old has already missed some time this season, but it was because his poor play prompted a few healthy scratches (that didn’t leave him very happy).
After scoring 21 goals and 35 points in his breakout 2010-11 season and playing reasonably well last season (26 points), Boyle has just five points and a -13 rating in 37 games in 2013.
The top-heavy Rangers could use Boyle’s large presence to fill out their lineup, but he’s been as invisible as a 6-foot-7 forward can be for much of this campaign. Now this injury might just force him out of the mix.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)