Apr 16, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
On Friday, we passed along word that Washington forward Brooks Laich was a facing a decision about his injured groin — undergo surgery, or try to rehab.
Today, the decision was made.
The Caps announced that Laich won’t have surgery and will try to work his way back into the lineup.
“We came to the conclusion we want [Laich] to be pain-free before he goes on the ice again,” head coach Adam Oates told CSN Washington. “So he’s working as hard as he can to become pain free.
“We don’t want any setbacks.”
Laich’s wonky groin — which he hurt while playing in Swizterland during the lockout — cost him the first 28 games of the season, and now the last five.
Had he undergone surgery, it would’ve been of the sports hernia variety. The issue, of course, was the four-to-six week recovery period, which would’ve essentially wiped out Laich’s season.
When healthy, Laich has been a valuable contributor for the Caps this season.
He’s scored 1G-3A-4PTS in nine games while averaging over 16 minutes per contest. He was also the club’s top penalty-killing forward in terms of shorthanded ice time per game.
The Caps have six games left in the regular season and appear playoff-bound, holding a four-point lead over Winnipeg for first place in the Southeast Division.
Washington says the goal is to get Laich back for the postseason, but isn’t making any promises.
“You don’t want a guy to have a setback,” Oates explained. “It’s obviously a tough injury and right now it’s between him and Smitty [athletic trainer] and the doctors.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)