Apr 16, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers host the New York Rangers at the Wells Fargo Center at 7:30 p.m. ET.
They haven’t been mathematically eliminated yet, but realistically, the Philadelphia Flyers are not going to make the playoffs.
That doesn’t mean they’ve given up. Just ask the Montreal Canadiens, who were overwhelmed by a frustrated Flyers team last night. Scott Hartnell had a hat trick as the Flyers earned a crushing 7-3 victory.
“We’re still playing for a lot of pride,” Luke Schenn said in a CSN Philly report. “I don’t think we’re ever going to throw in the towel. These [final seven] games, we’ve got to compete hard. Losing can’t become accepted, that’s just the mentality you’ve got to have around here.”
Fair enough, but the Rangers know that it will be more than just their pride that’s wounded if they come up flat against the Flyers tonight.
New York has won two straight games, but they are in eighth place and have just a two-point cushion over the Winnipeg Jets, albeit with a game in hand.
The Rangers schedule is odd in the sense that they will only play teams currently shy of a playoff spot or already eliminated from consideration. At the same time, teams with nothing left but personal pride to fight for can be dangerous and the Rangers will have to play seven games in just 12 days.
That exhausting stretch could weigh on them in the final games of the season, which makes picking up points now when they’re relatively rested and facing a team at the end of a three games in four days stretch all the more critical.
Philadelphia – Forwards: Zac Rinaldo (ankle), Maxime Talbot (leg), Jody Shelley (hip) Defensemen: Kent Huskins (concussion), Nicklas Grossmann (concussion), Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), Chris Pronger (concussion)
New York – Forwards: Derek Dorsett (shoulder) Defensemen: Marc Staal (eye), Michael Sauer (concussion)
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 24
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)