Apr 16, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers host the New York Rangers at the Wells Fargo Center at 7:30 p.m. ET.
They haven’t been mathematically eliminated yet, but realistically, the Philadelphia Flyers are not going to make the playoffs.
That doesn’t mean they’ve given up. Just ask the Montreal Canadiens, who were overwhelmed by a frustrated Flyers team last night. Scott Hartnell had a hat trick as the Flyers earned a crushing 7-3 victory.
“We’re still playing for a lot of pride,” Luke Schenn said in a CSN Philly report. “I don’t think we’re ever going to throw in the towel. These [final seven] games, we’ve got to compete hard. Losing can’t become accepted, that’s just the mentality you’ve got to have around here.”
Fair enough, but the Rangers know that it will be more than just their pride that’s wounded if they come up flat against the Flyers tonight.
New York has won two straight games, but they are in eighth place and have just a two-point cushion over the Winnipeg Jets, albeit with a game in hand.
The Rangers schedule is odd in the sense that they will only play teams currently shy of a playoff spot or already eliminated from consideration. At the same time, teams with nothing left but personal pride to fight for can be dangerous and the Rangers will have to play seven games in just 12 days.
That exhausting stretch could weigh on them in the final games of the season, which makes picking up points now when they’re relatively rested and facing a team at the end of a three games in four days stretch all the more critical.
Philadelphia – Forwards: Zac Rinaldo (ankle), Maxime Talbot (leg), Jody Shelley (hip) Defensemen: Kent Huskins (concussion), Nicklas Grossmann (concussion), Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), Chris Pronger (concussion)
New York – Forwards: Derek Dorsett (shoulder) Defensemen: Marc Staal (eye), Michael Sauer (concussion)
Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
This has happened a few times in these playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
Took this game over in the second period.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (95)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)