Apr 16, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
It took a while, but the ink is finally dry.
On Tuesday, the Detroit Red Wings announced they re-signed G Jimmy Howard to a six-year deal, one that will keep Howard in the Motor City until 2019.
“Jimmy is one of our most valuable players who is entering the prime of his career,” Detroit GM Ken Holland said. “He gives a chance to win every night.
“He’s worked hard and become better every year. He’s a workhorse who can play the majority of the 82 games.”
Howard, 29, was rumored to be “very close” to agreeing to an extension with the Wings last week. TSN’s Aaron Ward reported the deal would be around $5.3 million annually.
Update: The Associated Press confirms — $31.8 million over six years, $5.3 million per.
Howard took over Detroit’s starting goalie gig in 2009-10, and hasn’t looked back.
The former University of Maine standout posted stellar numbers last season, achieving career highs in shutouts (six) and goals-against average (2.12) while posting 30-plus wins (35) for the third time in his career.
After a slow start this year, Howard has heated up. His numbers now sit at an impressive 17-12-6 with a .920 save percentage and 2.31 GAA. He also has three shutouts, two off the NHL lead.
It’s also worth noting that even with the salary cap going down to $64.3 million next season, the Red Wings would still have a healthy amount of flexibility going into the summer, according to CapGeek.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (107)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)