Apr 16, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Mikhail Grigorenko is a Buffalo Sabre again.
But for how long, nobody knows.
On Tuesday, GM Darcy Regier confirmed the Russian rookie was back with the club after being dispatched to QMHJL Quebec on Mar. 15.
Quebec’s season ended on Friday with a playoff loss to Rouyn-Noranda, meaning Grigorenko was available for selection at both the NHL and AHL level.
“Grigo” had 14 points in 11 postseason games for the Remparts.
Regier said the 18-year-old will start with the Sabres and, eventually, a decision will be made to see if he goes to Rochester.
Prior to getting demoted, Grigorenko had one goal and four assists in 22 games with Buffalo and, since he played more than five games in the NHL, the first year of his three-year, entry-level contract wasn’t delayed.
(Or, in more dramatic terms, it will was “burned.”)
Buffalo selected Grigorenko in the first round (12th overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. He is one of just six ’12 draftees to make his NHL debut this season, joining Nail Yakupov, Alex Galchenyuk, Filip Forsberg, Scott Laughton and Stefan Matteau.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)