Apr 16, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Mikhail Grigorenko is a Buffalo Sabre again.
But for how long, nobody knows.
On Tuesday, GM Darcy Regier confirmed the Russian rookie was back with the club after being dispatched to QMHJL Quebec on Mar. 15.
Quebec’s season ended on Friday with a playoff loss to Rouyn-Noranda, meaning Grigorenko was available for selection at both the NHL and AHL level.
“Grigo” had 14 points in 11 postseason games for the Remparts.
Regier said the 18-year-old will start with the Sabres and, eventually, a decision will be made to see if he goes to Rochester.
Prior to getting demoted, Grigorenko had one goal and four assists in 22 games with Buffalo and, since he played more than five games in the NHL, the first year of his three-year, entry-level contract wasn’t delayed.
(Or, in more dramatic terms, it will was “burned.”)
Buffalo selected Grigorenko in the first round (12th overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. He is one of just six ’12 draftees to make his NHL debut this season, joining Nail Yakupov, Alex Galchenyuk, Filip Forsberg, Scott Laughton and Stefan Matteau.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)