Apr 16, 2013, 12:07 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets stayed in the playoff hunt with a dramatic 4-3 overtime win against the Colorado Avalanche on Monday.
Their formula seems to be set: Sergei Bobrovsky remained the constant force with a revolving set of other heroes giving the team yet another victory despite a tiny margin of error. In this case, Nick Foligno (OT winner) and R.J. Umberger (late game-tying goal) were the ones who made the difference.
Want to take a look at those exciting goals? First, here’s Foligno’s winner, which came with about 30 seconds left in OT:
One could say that Umberger’s 3-3 tally was of the get-you-out-of-your-seat variety, too:
That’s almost as exciting as a trip to Vegas, eh?
Here’s how the race for the West’s eight seed looks after Monday:
8. Detroit (idle tonight): 20-15-7 for 47 points with six games left
9. Columbus: 20-16-7 for 47 points with five games left
10. Dallas (lost 5-2 to Chicago): 21-18-3 for 45 points with six games left
11. Phoenix: 18-16-7 for 43 points with six games left*
It won’t be easy for the Blue Jackets. Their next four games are on the road as they face the three California teams and then fellow fringe competitor Dallas (then they finish at home against Nashville).
After all that’s happened, are you really willing to count Bobrovsky and the Blue Jackets out, though?
* – The Coyotes currently trail the San Jose Sharks 3-0, so that could change from 43 to 44 or 45 points with five games left depending on the outcome.
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 5
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 11
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 29
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 47
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (104)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)