Apr 16, 2013, 11:15 PM EST
By almost any measure, Tuesday was a rough night for the New York Rangers. As you’ll see from this roundup, just about every bubble team advanced their causes except for the Broadway Blueshirts.
Ottawa 3, Carolina 2
The Ottawa Senators suffered from a five-game swoon, but it looks like they’re getting it together. Craig Anderson was fantastic once again (32 out of 34 saves), yet the most promising sign might have been this pretty goal from recently returned winger Milan Michalek:
NY Islanders 5, Florida 2
After narrowly losing Saturday’s tense game against the Rangers, the New York Islanders dominated the lowly Florida Panthers 5-2 in one of those “games you have to win.” Speedy forward Michael Grabner is one of those guys who can make the Long Island bunch that much more dangerous, so fans must be pleased that he scored twice on Tuesday.
Philadelphia 4, NY Rangers 2 (click here)
Winnipeg 4, Tampa Bay 3 (SO)
The Winnipeg Jets looked like they might cough up a two-goal lead in this one, but they managed to win in the skills competition to prevail 4-3 (SO). That gives the streaky Jets four wins in a row after they dropped five consecutive losses. Andrew Ladd (two goals and one assists) and Blake Wheeler (one goal and two assists) stood out for the Jets while Steven Stamkos stayed right behind goals leader Alex Ovechkin with his 27th goal of the season.
This win keeps the Jets four points behind the surging Capitals for the Southeast Division lead, yet as you can see from these updated standings, they’re most obviously breathing down the Rangers’ necks:
6. Ottawa: 22-14-16 for 50 points, six games left (18 regulation/OT wins)
7. NY Islanders: 22-16-5 for 49 points, five games left (19 ROW)
8. NY Rangers: 21-17-4 for 46 points, six games left (17 ROW)
9. Winnipeg: 22-19-2 for 46 points, five games left (20 ROW)
The Flyers and Buffalo Sabres might be too far behind, yet the Rangers must note that those two teams are still stringing enough wins together to not be totally disregarded.
With the Islanders potentially threatening for the Senators’ sixth spot and the Jets keeping the heat on both the Rangers and (to a lesser extent) the Capitals, this could be a wild finish in the East.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)