Apr 16, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
By almost any measure, Tuesday was a rough night for the New York Rangers. As you’ll see from this roundup, just about every bubble team advanced their causes except for the Broadway Blueshirts.
Ottawa 3, Carolina 2
The Ottawa Senators suffered from a five-game swoon, but it looks like they’re getting it together. Craig Anderson was fantastic once again (32 out of 34 saves), yet the most promising sign might have been this pretty goal from recently returned winger Milan Michalek:
NY Islanders 5, Florida 2
After narrowly losing Saturday’s tense game against the Rangers, the New York Islanders dominated the lowly Florida Panthers 5-2 in one of those “games you have to win.” Speedy forward Michael Grabner is one of those guys who can make the Long Island bunch that much more dangerous, so fans must be pleased that he scored twice on Tuesday.
Philadelphia 4, NY Rangers 2 (click here)
Winnipeg 4, Tampa Bay 3 (SO)
The Winnipeg Jets looked like they might cough up a two-goal lead in this one, but they managed to win in the skills competition to prevail 4-3 (SO). That gives the streaky Jets four wins in a row after they dropped five consecutive losses. Andrew Ladd (two goals and one assists) and Blake Wheeler (one goal and two assists) stood out for the Jets while Steven Stamkos stayed right behind goals leader Alex Ovechkin with his 27th goal of the season.
This win keeps the Jets four points behind the surging Capitals for the Southeast Division lead, yet as you can see from these updated standings, they’re most obviously breathing down the Rangers’ necks:
6. Ottawa: 22-14-16 for 50 points, six games left (18 regulation/OT wins)
7. NY Islanders: 22-16-5 for 49 points, five games left (19 ROW)
8. NY Rangers: 21-17-4 for 46 points, six games left (17 ROW)
9. Winnipeg: 22-19-2 for 46 points, five games left (20 ROW)
The Flyers and Buffalo Sabres might be too far behind, yet the Rangers must note that those two teams are still stringing enough wins together to not be totally disregarded.
With the Islanders potentially threatening for the Senators’ sixth spot and the Jets keeping the heat on both the Rangers and (to a lesser extent) the Capitals, this could be a wild finish in the East.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer now.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They won the Stanley Cup together in Tampa Bay.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He might still end up playing in Russia.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 6
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)